Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Too busy winning to notice I\'m losing

I played in a limit hand last week where I limped with 88 and the flop came JJ8. When I'm in a ridiculously rare situation like this, my mind switches to extraction mode. In fact, I sometimes become so focused on extracting every possible penny that I fail to notice the river pair the turn. It's as if I get into my head that I have the nuts and nothing can change it.

Fortunately the donks in Vegas didn't raise the river so my blindness only cost me one big bet. But I didn't realize I'd lost until the dealer started shipping it and I made an ass out of myself. It's a limit example but I do sometimes go broke in STTs doing the same thing.

I think that the only thing I can do is slow down and pay more attention. I'm really just wondering whether this happens to anyone else, and what do you do if it does?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Too busy winning to notice I\'m losing

[ QUOTE ]
I played in a limit hand last week where I limped with 88 and the flop came JJ8. When I'm in a ridiculously rare situation like this, my mind switches to extraction mode. In fact, I sometimes become so focused on extracting every possible penny that I fail to notice the river pair the turn. It's as if I get into my head that I have the nuts and nothing can change it.

Fortunately the donks in Vegas didn't raise the river so my blindness only cost me one big bet. But I didn't realize I'd lost until the dealer started shipping it and I made an ass out of myself. It's a limit example but I do sometimes go broke in STTs doing the same thing.

I think that the only thing I can do is slow down and pay more attention. I'm really just wondering whether this happens to anyone else, and what do you do if it does?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this was the last board reading hand skill I mastered, and I still misread it occasionally.

The only solution is EVERY TIME a card makes pairs/trips/quads on the board, take a second or two to figure out the EXACT hand you have (and whether it's likely to be good, of course).