Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Home game lukewarm to poker league

At the end of spring, the 12 regulars in my poker game talked about starting a league in the fall. We'd all played in a league at least once on other games. I am the player most interested in a league.

Well, I had been thinking about how to collect the money for a final tournament. I was mulling over whether to take a % rake from each pot, or have people contribute a set amount per night, like $2-$5. I wanted to generate a nice pot for the final game.

I brought up the issue at our last home game, and now everyone is sour on having a poker league. The topic of collecting money seems to be changing their mind.

We have a pretty fun game going. At most we've had 20 players, and regularly have 15. Should I just drop the idea of having a league since the game is good anyway? Or, does anyone have input as to a way of collecting money that other people don't mind so much?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Home game lukewarm to poker league

When we do a "league"...

We play standard $20 tournaments. Must have at least 8 people there in order for it to count toward the points (and thus get raked for the final game).

We just take $10 out of every single game to put toward the final pot.

So with 8 people, there is a $160 prize pool... we take out $10, and then pay 110/40 or 100/50 to 1st and 2nd depending on what people decide on that day.

We'll usually play several games... so over our 15 weeks or so, we managed to get about $450 in the final pot.

In your case... since there are so many people on a weekly basis. You should just pull 2 buyins out of each game.

If your buyin with 15-30 people is $30, pull $60 out of each game. If that sounds like too much.... just pull one buyin then.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

over our 15 weeks or so, we managed to get about $450 in the final pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

$10 x 15 = $150, what am I missing here?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They probably play 3 tournies per night--that's how we do as well.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:19 PM

yeah I play with a bunch of maniacs... people go busto quickly
Old 08-01-2006, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

over our 15 weeks or so, we managed to get about $450 in the final pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time, don't cut off the quote:
"We'll usually play several games... so over our 15 weeks or so, we managed to get about $450 in the final pot."

Got it? :P
Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 PM

Make it a voluntary contribution- $X per tourney, to activate the points earned that night to the league standings/final tourney.

More points = bigger starting stack for the tourney.

If you don't pay for points before the tourney, your points don't count for the league. No buying in afterwards (unless you want to add a hefty penalty fee).

You might have to let it go, though, if your group is lukewarm. Don't kill off the game for the league idea.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:58 PM

Some people don't want to do a "league" and you may have to accept it. They that play to "have fun". Having a league is too serious and too competetive for some people.

I also think that having a league has the potential to kill your game. Once you have a league, you gotta start keeping stats. After a while, the bad players have tangible evidence on paper as to how much they suck and might eventually stop playing alltogether. or they might start trying to improve their game (could be good or bad. I think bad)
Old 08-02-2006, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the end of spring, the 12 regulars in my poker game talked about starting a league in the fall. We'd all played in a league at least once on other games. I am the player most interested in a league.

Well, I had been thinking about how to collect the money for a final tournament. I was mulling over whether to take a % rake from each pot, or have people contribute a set amount per night, like $2-$5. I wanted to generate a nice pot for the final game.

I brought up the issue at our last home game, and now everyone is sour on having a poker league. The topic of collecting money seems to be changing their mind.

We have a pretty fun game going. At most we've had 20 players, and regularly have 15. Should I just drop the idea of having a league since the game is good anyway? Or, does anyone have input as to a way of collecting money that other people don't mind so much?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with the recent opinions. If you have a fun game, don't take a risk of ruining a good thing. The other guys have kind of spoken.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:30 PM

I'm going to take everyone's advice, and forget about the league because I don't want to tamper with a good thing.

Thanks for the feedback.