Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 01:14 PM

Default Party Gammon and Books

Hey guys, I am starting to get interested in the whole Backgammon thing when I need a break from poker. Any sugestions on books or forums to learn more about the game? Thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Party Gammon and Books

Bill Robertie (co-author of HOH series) has some of the most recommended backgammon books prior to working with Harrington for poker.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:33 PM

In order:

Backgammon For Winners
Backgammon For Serious Players
501 Essential Backgammon Problems

Especially the problems book can keep you busy for weeks.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In order:

Backgammon For Winners

[/ QUOTE ]

BG for winners and for serious players are for beginners, if you have some experience I really wouldnīt buy these (besides, the notation sucks). Go for Backgammon Boot Camp by Walter Trice instead. (501 problems is a LOT better)

You should really get Modern Backgammon by B. Robertie though. Itīs only available through the gammonpress (no, I donīt get money for this). It focuses on checker play and is by far his best work IMO.

You may also want to get Advanced Backgammon vol. 1 and 2, also by Robertie. But keep in mind that the analysis for some positions is flawed, Robertie wrote these before the neural net era. But all the mistakes are corrected in Jeremy Bagaiīs Classic Backgammon revisited.

You should also read everything by Kit Woolsey.

Good luck

wolf
Old 08-02-2006, 12:14 AM

I originally read Backgammon For Winners and Backgammon for Serious Players and they were extremely helpful as I only played my friend for fun. Then I learned that all was for not due to the Neutral Net era as Wolf said, so I would personally suggest Modern Backgammon by Robertie. It's a bit expensive, but it is good read.

Also, if you plan on playing PartyGammon and other online backgammon cash sites, I would search around these forums a bit. I can't remember exactly where, I believe the Other Gambling Forum, but Bill Robertie was talking about how PartyGammon and most other backgammon sites are unbeatable because of the rake.

Unfortunate because Party Poker had a chance to start a revival of backgammon;
Old 08-02-2006, 10:08 AM

check out thegammonpress.com it is a great resource for backgammon books, matches, software, lessons, etc.

among the books i recommend for a start;
backgammon by paul magriel
501 essential backgammon problems by big robertie
modern backgammon by bill robertie
and probably advanced backgammon vols 1 &2

and if you really want to become a world class player buy the software snowie. it is a world class opponent that you can play. it can analyze your matches, and teaches you a ton.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In order:

Backgammon For Winners

[/ QUOTE ]

I just picked up backgammon about 4 weeks ago. I looked thru some stuff on the internet and then read all three of those books above. BFW and BFSP are both pretty basic and for beginners. I got some valuable tidbits from both of them, but for the most part I'd already moved beyond them pretty quickly.

501Problems however, is very good and and you pick up good theoretical principles like you get from the other two books but you also get MUCH more practical application because there are both many more examples and almost all examples are somewhat difficult which is not the case with examples in the first two books.

I'd also suggest downloading GNU backgammon, which is free. you can play against the expert level computer with hints so you can improve quickly.

However, I would not suggest putting much time into backgammon. Its too easy to get fairly good fairly quickly, so you won't have a huge edge vs. your opponents, and the rake is ridiculously high. For example, if you play a series of cash games for say $10/game, if you beat your opponent 7-6 you still lose money due to the rake, so you need a fairly big edge. Or use the doubling cube, which allows a bigger edge, but requires much more skill.

-g
Old 08-03-2006, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However, I would not suggest putting much time into backgammon. Its too easy to get fairly good fairly quickly, so you won't have a huge edge vs. your opponents, and the rake is ridiculously high. -g

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to lol at this. Though when I first learned backgammon I thought it was easy and that I played well. Then I started reviewing my games in GNU realized that: backgammon is by no means easy and I was nothing close to being good.

You are right about the ridiculously high rake though.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

However, I would not suggest putting much time into backgammon. Its too easy to get fairly good fairly quickly, so you won't have a huge edge vs. your opponents, and the rake is ridiculously high. -g

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to lol at this. Though when I first learned backgammon I thought it was easy and that I played well. Then I started reviewing my games in GNU realized that: backgammon is by no means easy and I was nothing close to being good.

You are right about the ridiculously high rake though.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, actually, I found that I was/am worse than i thought after having reviewed some games in GNU. But still my mistakes are not huge according to GNU (in checker play, the cube is another story). I think the edge you get from pure checker play is just not going to be very big most of the time. But Ive been breaeven at best so far, so who knows.

-g
Old 08-05-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...and the rake is ridiculously high. For example, if you play a series of cash games for say $10/game, if you beat your opponent 7-6 you still lose money due to the rake, so you need a fairly big edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. Party is really gouging the players, imo. But what else is new.