Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Tales of a Day 1A loser....

I left Hartford, CT on Thursday night with my hotel confirmation and my WSOP Confirmation email. We were scheduled to leave at 8:15 and arrive at Vegas around 11 pm. The way I figured it get to the hotel around 12 head over to the RIO and get my card for Saturday then get some sleep.

Didn't turn out that way. The plane we were supposed to take was late from Atlanta. Typical for this time of year so it really wasn't a huge surprise for me. We got in the air at 10:00 with an arrival time of 12:00am Vegas time. Didn't get any sleep on the plane, too excited about the trip I suppose.

Flight was good and we arrived just after midnight grabbed our bags and a cab and got to the Monte Carlo right around 12:45. Stars some how got my reservation mixed up. I was booked in a SMOKING KING when I requested non-smoking double. Easy enough change.

We dropped our bags and headed over to the Rio to get me checked in for my scheduled Saturday start date. Figured do it now so I can sleep in on Friday and be well rested for Saturday.

After walking for what felt like 3 miles found the Will Call booth, signed my release, handed them my id and they gave me an envelop with my starting card in it. To my surprise I was listed as starting on Day 1. It had to be a mistake right??? "Well no sir, we had to make same changes to the start days" There was nothing I could do. I was dissappointed to say the least.

So its now almost 2 am and we make our way back to the hotel to try and get some sleep before getting back to the Rio for the start of the event at 12 noon.

Sleep didn't come easy. I was only able to sleep about 5 hours and awoke around 7:30, 10:30 east coast time. Showered grabbed the stars stuff from the second floor and came back to check out the loot.

Wasn't real pleased with the stars flare as my buddy called it. Liked the hats but thats really about it. I can do with out the jerseys. Would've really liked a couple polos. Made the easy decision to just wear the brown hat.

Hit the pub for breakfest and took the shuttle to the Rio at about 10:30. Got there way too early. Didn't get into the main hall until almost 12 exactly.

I was on table 139 and didn't have any "known" players. It took me a little while to get settled in and relaxed.

Quick summary. Status quo for levels 1/2. Level 3 was a roller coaster. Down to 3300 thanks to a bad play with TT vs KK on a 459 board with 2 hearts.

Doubled back to 7000 or so with flopped nut flush vs a baby flush that paid me off.

Won a few more nice pots and ended the 3rd level with 18k after turning a flush on the very last hand before dinner.

Didn't play too much in level 4 but was able to run up to 20k.

Mid way through level 5 I made a mistake I and couldn't lay down QQ. Down to 10k losing to KK.

Dwindling sacks thanks to blinds/antes and decided to make a play for a pot mid way through the 5th level. I pushed TT for 7400 over a loose/laggy raise to 1100 and a loose calling station or so I thought. I was in the SB and was looking to take it down right there. The one thing I didn't count on was a call from the TAG to my immediate left in the BB. He insta calls the rest fold and we are off the races. TT vs his AKs

He won on the river and I leave at 12 midnight. Long day.

Some final thoughts:

I clearly wasn't ready mentally/physically for the tourney. The concentration, the excitement, the long walk during breaks, the lack of sleep, all took there toll on me. I made two big mistakes and it cost me. Next time I have to think before I act and really concentrate on my play.

Overall it was good experience and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Worked out well for my friends too. One guy final tabled 2 tournies and the other took 8th in Cesaers Saturday night tourney. We all left with more money than we came with. Not bad for a trip to Vegas.