Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 03:34 PM

Default M vs Q

As Dan Harrington describes the Q and M in Volume II of his book, I have run into a problem in my poker league.

The blinds move so fast that everyone's M is below 5 (Red) but my Q was 2+. I dont know if i am in bad shape as my M shows or if i am in good shape (chip leader) as my Q shows. I still feel like i have to be pretty aggressive to not get gobbled up by the blinds, but it's pretty hard to feel desperate when you are hte chip leader.

any thoughts?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Re: M vs Q

no opinions?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:45 PM

When the strong force (M) and the weak force (Q) appear to be telling different stories, it is the strong force that you listen to.

The fact that you are the chip leader only means that you are less desperate than your other opponents. It doesn't mean that you are not in danger.

If there is a fire that has worked it's way up to the third floor and you are on the 8th floor, you don't have to crash through the first window you see regardless of what is below as the people on the third and fourth have to do, but you better be looking for a soft patch to jump to soon. You definitely cannot go along with your daily routine and wait for the fire to reach the 7th floor before you do something.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:47 PM

I really don't think you can take into accolunt your Q at this point. Just like depaima has stated, your Q is your weak force and is irrelevant at this point. You really build your Q when you build your M. Your M is 5 so your in red zone. You still play your red zone poker strategy at this point as your Q is irrelevant. It only tells you how desperate you are in comparison to everyone else. Your Q could drop in 1 orbit substantially if your M keeps going down. Your Q is only important if your in bigger field tournaments where there is a healthy stack of Ms.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:11 AM

Go with the M. Harrington even states in his book, that the "M strong force, dominates Q, the weak force."
Old 08-02-2006, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If there is a fire that has worked it's way up to the third floor and you are on the 8th floor, you don't have to crash through the first window you see

[/ QUOTE ]

i like the fire analogy.

i read in Vol II tonight where this particular situation is not only dangerous, but an illusion where all your chips can vanish.

thanks for the advice.