Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 08:57 AM

Default selling a car

The car I have now is the 2nd one I have owned, when I got rid of my first one I just traded it in at the dealer when I bought the 2nd car. My first car wasn't very expensive and the trade in price was close enough to blue book that I was OK with trading it in.

But I want to sell my current car and get something else. My current car is a 2004 M3, and it's pricey enough that I figure trading it in is definitely not a good move. But I have never sold a car on my own before and am not sure the best way to go about it. Any advice from people on this board?

Also, the bank currently holds my title. What do I need to do in order to sell it? I know I could always pay off the loan, receive the title, and then sell it but I would prefer not to do that if I don't have to. But I am pretty clueless as to how it is done.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Re: selling a car

I would still rather choose to trade it in. You might not get a great price for it, but it will help you in negotiations if you are looking to buy another car because the dealership will factor in the profit they will be making on the later sale of your M3. Unless ofcourse the difference in price is greater than 3,000 dollars.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless ofcourse the difference in price is greater than 3,000 dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes absolutely no sense, please explain.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:58 PM

He means the difference in blue book value, than the amount he is getting credit for trading it in.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He means the difference in blue book value, than the amount he is getting credit for trading it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the explanation, but this still makes no sense. Wouldn't a better guideline be a percentage than a flat dollar value? After all if you are trading in a $350,000 Rolls Royce and you are offered $3000 less that is not comparable to trading in a $5000 Ford Taurus and getting $3000 less than book value.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the explanation, but this still makes no sense. Wouldn't a better guideline be a percentage than a flat dollar value? After all if you are trading in a $350,000 Rolls Royce and you are offered $3000 less that is not comparable to trading in a $5000 Ford Taurus and getting $3000 less than book value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe what he means is that it takes the same amount of effort to sell a Rolls as it does a Taurus. Effort that can be avoided by just trading it in to the dealer. So to him that effort is worth $3000. Although $3000 seems a little high to me.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:41 PM

It wouldn't hurt to try trading it in and see what you get offered. I frequent an m3 forum and someone posted recently about trading in an 04 with 30k miles and getting 39k.

Also, demand for these cars is high right now since they are no longer being built and the new model is at least 1.5 years out.

Why are you selling?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why are you selling?

[/ QUOTE ]

I work from home, I live in super dense city, the roads are full of potholes, I have a dog that can't fit in the car, etc. Just not practical for me. Would rather get a $20k-$30k that has more room and can drive in the snow.

$39k for an 04 with 30k miles on it is pretty decent. Any idea what kind of package his was? The MSRP on mine was $61k. I was shooting for somewhere in the $45k range as a sell price, if I can trade it in for more than $42k-$43k then I would probably just do that to avoid the hassle.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:54 PM

I would suggest posting it on E-Bay first. Cars like yours sell very well there.

Jimbo

PS: Of you don't want to do that PM me, I am in the automobile business and can do a little work and tell you exactly what your car is worth both wholesale and retail with enough infornmation.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:55 PM

It was an 04 coupe black on cinnamon w/ 29.5k miles SMG; no other details were given, traded for 39k. If you've got NAV and <25k miles then $43-44k sounds like a reasonable price. If you've got the CPO warranty add another 1500 and it will sell even easier.

Too bad you've gotta let it go, I enjoy beating on my 03 SMG coupe daily.