Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2006, 05:54 PM

Default \"The Third Man\"; what\'s so great about it? (spoilers)

Finally, finally, FINALLY got around to watching "The Third Man". Supposed to be one of the greatest films ever, on everybody's top 5 list.

What's so great about it?

The photography is unique, but I wouldn't call it "great".

The performances are certainly top-notch.

But I just didn't CARE about any of the characters. I didn't care if Harry got caught. I didn't care if Holly "did the right thing" and helped the cops. I didn't care if the cops got their man. And most of all, I didn't care if the chick got sent to Siberia.

Contrast this with "Casablanca". I care about Rick, and Ilsa, and even Louie. Hell, I even care about Sam.

But none of the characters in "The Third Man" make a case that I should care about them (except that British sgt, he was cool).

And that zither music which draws so much praise. UGH! The opening theme was neat, but that was enough for me. Everything after that was just grating.

Wells' entrance was damn cool, as well as his ferris wheel scene.

But the entire first hour, where Cotton tries to unravel the mystery, is more of a chore to watch, than entertainment. I'm going to guess that it's all cliche now, but it was fresh then.

Is that it? Is that why this film is considered so great?