Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 11:16 AM

Default Cheap Travel in New York City

A friend and I have decided to make a quick trick to New York City. Our plan is to fly out to Toronto where I have a car available and drive to NYC. Looking for experiences/tip on experiencing New York on the cheap.

We aren't interested in expensive dinners, nice bars, or staying in nice hotes, though we would like to see a show or two and basically experience the city.

Is cheap lodging available (motels)?

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-30-2006, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Cheap Travel in New York City

There are hostels you can stay at for about $30-40 a night.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:01 PM

I stayed in jersey at some Ramada Limited near Journal Square station and took the train in when I went - that kicked ass - cheaper too

rb
Old 07-30-2006, 12:09 PM

Go to TKTS for show tickets, or a lot of shows have cheap tickets the day of the show also, if you line up at the box office.

For cheap meals, go to chinatown. There are vietnamese sandwich shops (can't remember any specific ones but there are a lot so look around), as well as Pho, dollar dumplings (There are a few of these, but my favorite is on 118 Eldridge between Broome and Grand. 5 dumplings for $1, also try their sesame pancakes) also one of my favorite late night post-drink eating places called 69 (which is on Bayard st. between Mott and Elizabeth; really cheap food, huge portions, plus they're open all night). All these places are megacheap, if you don't mind dealing with the grittiness.

Don't eat stuff around the theater district on Broadway, or around Times Square, cuz it's all tourist traps that'll charge a lot more than they should for sub-par food. Anyway, I hope you have a good time in NYC.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:02 PM

if you want to go see some jazz music, check out detour there's no cover, all you have to do is buy a drink.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I stayed in jersey at some Ramada Limited near Journal Square station and took the train in when I went - that kicked ass - cheaper too

rb

[/ QUOTE ]

How long is the train ride and how convenient is it? Also you say cheap, roughly how much cheaper and or what kind of hotel?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 01:27 PM

i think the train ride is like 15-20 minutes from there. 20 minutes might be too long, i haven't gone that far on the path train in a while.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave...html/time.html
Old 07-30-2006, 03:44 PM

sz,

There is a TON of stuff to do. The East Village is one of my favorite neighborhoods full of cheap places to go, but there are very cheap and fun options all over the city. NYC is also a great place to just walk around and explore and people watch.

Here are two random suggestions:

Jing Fong is a great dim sum place that is really cheap.

Rudy's has cheap pitchers, free popcorn and hot dogs, and lots of girls from FIT.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the train ride is like 15-20 minutes from there. 20 minutes might be too long, i haven't gone that far on the path train in a while.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave...html/time.html

[/ QUOTE ]

wasn't that long - one or two stops before the WTC, as I recall - maybe 3 or 4 -

RB
Old 08-11-2006, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sz,

There is a TON of stuff to do. The East Village is one of my favorite neighborhoods full of cheap places to go, but there are very cheap and fun options all over the city. NYC is also a great place to just walk around and explore and people watch.

Here are two random suggestions:

Jing Fong is a great dim sum place that is really cheap.

Rudy's has cheap pitchers, free popcorn and hot dogs, and lots of girls from FIT.

[/ QUOTE ]

El D-

Just an FYI, I went to Jing Fong three weeks ago and it was shut down due to Health Inspection violations. I ended up going to Sushi Go Go. However, I went back to Chinatown last Saturday and it was open again. Eat at your own risk.

Horn.