Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 06:10 AM

Default Woud you recommend people take up poker?

I am a relative beginner- been playing for 9 months at the nanos. Been a consistent winner at the lowest levels, in that time.

I LOVE poker- I am really into it. I study and play daily.

BUT.....

I can honestly say that I have great reservations about recommending people give it a go. I think there are too many people with addictive / compulsive personalities that would be unsuitable for poker.

Poker (/ gambling) really is a (potentially) dangerous game. You walk such a thin line every time you play.

So what I'm trying to say is although I am totally engrossed in the game- I wouldn't like to be personally responsible for someone else taking it up.

Any thought?

Ian
Old 07-30-2006, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Woud you recommend people take up poker?

I recommend poker to all uneducated, ignorant, stupid, non-mathematical people with money to burn.

In the future please keep your opinion to yourself since you will cost all of us two plus two'ers a lot of money.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recommend poker to all uneducated, ignorant, stupid, non-mathematical people with money to burn.

In the future please keep your opinion to yourself since you will cost all of us two plus two'ers a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, it's not like he's standing on a street corner holding a sign that says, "Don't play poker--it's much harder than it seems!"

If a friend asked me if they should start playing, I'd first explain to them what it takes to be a winner. If I thought that the person wouldn't be able to handle it, I'd tell them no. If I did, I would probably offer them books/coaching once they started taking it seriously.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) What the 'ell is the point of a forum? To offer opinions?

2) If you think me expressing my opinion is going to effect the 2+2 Community's profit-making potential, ???? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Ian
Old 07-30-2006, 10:59 AM

Hell yeah I recommend people. To come and play in my home tournaments, that is. If someone starts playing online and screw up it's their problem. If a friend wants to discuss strategies and/or get advice I'll gladly offer it, though.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:41 AM

Casual acquaintances aren't going to immediately take up the game upon hearing that you (or anyone else) is making money at it.

As for your friends, give them a realistic view of the game if they are interested in taking it up. If you know any of your friends to already have a gambling problem, then don't push them into it.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:52 PM

I discourage ppl from trying to play poker. Usually ppl asking are friends or ppl I like, and if they start its most likely theyll become a fish and lose money or become some gambling addict and I dont wanna contribute to someones downfall.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:17 PM

It's too hard to watch grown men cry. I usually do not recommend/suggest they take up poker.

Seriously, imo poker is not for most people, just like the Tour de France is not for most people. If they want to know about poker I will answer what they ask, but I do not suggest they try it out, that is their decision to make.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:36 AM

Bunch of wusses, I encorage everyone I know to gamble on on anything & everything. Poker is usually the least degenerate of them all.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:24 AM

if i do reccommend it, which is rare, i usually warn them of having unrealistic expectations.