Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 05:57 AM

Default This hand got out of control: Was I right to stay in?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I won the pot (which was HUGE at this level)- but I am more interested to learn if I played it correctly.

On one hand I think I should have bailed- my TPTK couldn't have good against such a large field showing lots of agro.

But the pot quickly got so big that I felt it wrong to fold. "Luckily" I was saved by the River A.

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (14.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (28.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 35.25 BB
Old 07-30-2006, 06:26 AM

Default Re: This hand got out of control: Was I right to stay in?

3:14 on turn ... usually fold this i think
Old 07-30-2006, 06:48 AM

I would cap it preflop.

You're winning on the turn here like one time in a million. The rest of the time you're basically drawing dead.

The river play is also bad, IMO.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would cap it preflop.

You're winning on the turn here like one time in a million. The rest of the time you're basically drawing dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I thought as much.

I had very mixed feelings as soon as I one the hand. Chuffed I won over $7, but dissapoointed that I'd played it like I did.

I don't plan on making a habit of it.

Ian
Old 07-30-2006, 10:22 AM

*grunch*

This looks like an example of people getting caught into thrill of action more than anything. There was never a time you should have folded this hand. UTG+2 cap for example on the turn was just pure silliness. You capping would have made sense but are we to believe he 3 bet a pot with pocket 5's?

One of these idiots could have had pocket aces or pocket kings of course and the river could have actually been a bad card for you but you still had the odds to go to the showdown.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:29 AM

Wow. I wonder what your opponents had.

I'm not sure about the flop, but I wouldn't call the turn getting 20:3. You are drawing dead here almost always.

Also, you should not post results here. People tend to change their answers when they know who won.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would cap it preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-30-2006, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He should have capped it and the odds were not 3:14 but 3:20 (6 new bets in the pot before him) plus implied odds of 4 more bets with the likelihood of the two other raisers calling the 3rd bet. 8 to 1 to call, 6 to 1 to cap....not much wrong with either, but folding? Not a good plan.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He should have capped it and the odds were not 3:14 but 3:20 (6 new bets in the pot before him) plus implied odds of 4 more bets with the likelihood of the two other raisers calling the 3rd bet. 8 to 1 to call, 6 to 1 to cap....not much wrong with either, but folding? Not a good plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you put his opponents on?

his hand does not have implied odds to bank on here. his 'draw' isn't strong enough when it hits to assume victory and profit.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:55 AM

This is one thing I don't get with you guys, there are 4 idiots in the pot maybe one player who has me beat. I put these guys on bad draws or lucky flops, and feeding the pot with dead money. Hell I could put them on pocket 10's, 7's, QQ's and JJ's, it doesn't matter.

I bet the action on this pot was lightning quick. No one thought on these hands. It was a pissing contest.

Am I going to win 1 out of 6 of these babies, with top pair and top kicker? Yeah I am.

The ev on this is so positive its a joke.

With a preflop tightness of 20%(and I guarantee these guys don't have that much preflop selection sense) I am a 50% favourite to win after the flop. 60% after the turn and 73% after the river.