Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 04:05 AM

Default Dr. Kent Hovind, Creation Scientist

I was bored and started googling "science vs religion" etc. and came across a couple videos of Kent Hovind...they're both long

they are all pretty old too I think..so most of you have probably already seen these, but I searched to see if any of this has been posted before and I didn't find anything, so maybe some of you have never seen these..or the rebuttal

the first is... An informal debate with some other dude on evolution and creationism

the second is... a lecture/sermon/whatever about lies in textbooks supporting evolution

and...some guy (Ian Wood is his name I think) .."300 Creationist Lies" rebuttal

discuss. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: BTW..I haven't really participated in SMP for 6+ months now..but I'll be slowing down with poker and heading back to school, so I hope to "be around SMP" more often..

so what's new?..have you guys figured out if god exists yet??...PM would be fine [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2006, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Dr. Kent Hovind, Creation Scientist

"Creation scientist"... is a contradiction in terms... Going back to school is a good idea!
Old 07-30-2006, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Creation scientist"... is a contradiction in terms... Going back to school is a good idea!

[/ QUOTE ]

Only reason I opened this thread. Jeez.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only reason I opened this thread. Jeez.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-30-2006, 12:12 PM

Well at least the debate presentation is neutral: 'Evolution vs. The Truth of God's Word' [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2006, 12:43 PM

Mismatch. You can never refute "But it is God's will." Only refuse. Neat, huh?

<shakes head>

What I find interesting that some cosmologists profess a belief in said God and still work towards finding the origins of the Universe. For the life of me, I can't understand if this is hypocrisy or an attempt to find him.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:09 PM

Hovind is kind of neat because he's so batty even other YECs think he's nuts. The list of "25 arguments creationists should not use" on the Answers in Genesis website is largely inspired by Hovind, for example.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:31 PM

This guy is one of the best out there, and I hope he's successful in his defense of the Bible. I like how he's so neutral in his arguments and takes all the facts into consideration. <font color="white"> Wow, just try saying that with a straight face. </font>
Old 07-30-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used it because that's what he seems to want to be called..

this guy also repeatedly says that evolution is a religion..so I don't give much weight to his interpretation of terms.

EDIT: oh and "Dr." should probably be taken out too IMO [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2006, 04:14 PM

I have only seen this guy "in action" a few times...

the things that are dangerous about this guy are..

-he is VERY likable
-he presents his position and "evidence" in a way that, I can see how most people could leave with the impression that they were just given solid evidence against evolution, geological dating, etc..
-he refuses to entertain counterpoints to his arguments (obviously not new among most of the "creation scientist" world)

when watching these videos, I could pick out many of the errors, etc, but I will admit that I did not know the errancy of many of his points and had to look them up on the internet (which is how I found the "300 lies")

I'm not saying that he is some creationist mastermind manipulator (obviously not since you can easily find out that he is full of it by searching the internet..

but for the average person, they will NOT look further into Hovind's claims and will again leave feeling reaffirmed in their beliefs that evolution CANNOT be true...(I guess this is true for any matter, but I would say more prevalent when the affirmed belief is a faith based belief)

I'm pretty troubled by the fact that he seems to be looked at with much respect when just a simple internet search could point to the contrary. (as someone pointed out, this may be changing and his arguments are less convincing now)..

but even then, the new arguments are just a testament to how religion seems to mold itself around accepted science just to stay afloat, which is pathetic IMO.