Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 01:56 AM

Default AK blind battle preflop 200NL

Villian is 18/16/3 over 90ish hands
havent seen him get out of line yet.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($315.80)
MP ($26.45)
Button ($425.40)
SB ($301.10)
Hero ($355.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $22</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $94</font>, Hero???

Easy fold?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:00 AM

Default Re: AK blind battle preflop 200NL

Either push or fold... calling being the worst option. Have you gotten out of line yet? That is a pressing question. It looks like your either a coin flip or dominated. If you have been playing a solid game I would just fold. If you have been playing LAG, I would push.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:14 AM

You guys are a bit deeper, so I'm less inclined to push here.... I think I just fold, although I like pushing AK because I feel I can fold QQ etc a good portion of the time.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Either push or fold... calling being the worst option. Have you gotten out of line yet? That is a pressing question. It looks like your either a coin flip or dominated. If you have been playing a solid game I would just fold. If you have been playing LAG, I would push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is dreadful advice. You have position and a big hand against someone who is interested. Call and see if an ace or king (or better) flops, then go from there. Remember that if an ace comes down it's highly unlikely you're against AA. If a K comes down you still have position and can get away from the hand.

Folding AK with position heads up is too nitty to even consider, and pushing totally negates your positional advantage. Calling also makes it difficult for your opponent to play well against you, since AA would smooth call here quite often. A call here is actually a lot more difficult for villian to deal with than a push. If you call and he keeps up the aggression, you can make a good decision to lay down if the flop is rags (because you know how a call looks to him and can thereby more accurately interpret his actions), and if he backs off he may cost himself the pot.

To put it simply, you have a very strong hand against a good, aggressive player. You want to increase the chances he will make a mistake against you and give yourself a chance to win a nice pot. Call, hope for an A (and to a lesser extent a K) or a monster flop, and go from there.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:13 AM

First of all, at nl200 you opponents are not going to fold QQ. Bottom line, especialy after they've commited 1/3 their stack pf.

Second, I think if you call this bet you're gonna be faced with an all in whether he hits or you hit or neither hits. Even if you hit a K, you dunno if you're up against AA so your hoping for 3 aces in the deck...not too likely to hit.

Personally I fold this hand and give him credit for a monster. that I do not want to draw against.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:44 AM

I'd prefer to fold preflop.

Second option would be to 'call', I don't like the all-in suggestion by the above poster. Villain just re-raise your raise, big sign of at least QQ, KK or AA.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:47 AM

How much have you been reraising
Old 07-30-2006, 04:48 AM

very easy fold
Old 07-30-2006, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, at nl200 you opponents are not going to fold QQ. Bottom line, especialy after they've commited 1/3 their stack pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some 200NL players could make the fold, not that many though.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is dreadful advice. You have position and a big hand against someone who is interested. Call and see if an ace or king (or better) flops, then go from there. Remember that if an ace comes down it's highly unlikely you're against AA. If a K comes down you still have position and can get away from the hand.

Folding AK with position heads up is too nitty to even consider, and pushing totally negates your positional advantage. Calling also makes it difficult for your opponent to play well against you, since AA would smooth call here quite often. A call here is actually a lot more difficult for villian to deal with than a push. If you call and he keeps up the aggression, you can make a good decision to lay down if the flop is rags (because you know how a call looks to him and can thereby more accurately interpret his actions), and if he backs off he may cost himself the pot.

To put it simply, you have a very strong hand against a good, aggressive player. You want to increase the chances he will make a mistake against you and give yourself a chance to win a nice pot. Call, hope for an A (and to a lesser extent a K) or a monster flop, and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian made a huge raise though, am I really getting odds to hit an A or K? since if the flop comes down T62 etc. I pretty much have to fold to his bet.