Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 09:12 PM

Default AQs I am not sure about

Good 5/10 6-max game. No one in this hand seems to be anything special. Just kind of loose and maybe a little passive. UTG and MP limp and I raise A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button. BB and limpers call.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Checked to me and I bet(?), BB and UTG call, MP raises. We all call.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
checked to MP who bets, I raise(??), BB and UTG fold, MP 3-bets, I fold(???)

?
??
???
tpir
Old 07-29-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Re: AQs I am not sure about

Because the pot is so bloated, I don't think calling down is that bad. However, with a passive player, the flop check-raise often means a hand stronger than top pair. This could include 34, 33, 44, TT. Because he didn't raise preflop, you can unweight pocket tens a little bit. You can probably unweight 34 too because he would probably only play the suited starters. I think the old maxim can hold true here - don't raise in position if you can't fold to a check-raise. You are drawing dead against probably three quarters of his holdings and to eight outs against the one quarter. So you are on an effective two-outer. I don't think you have the right price to call two bets to get to showdown to hit your two outer.

FWIW, I don't think you can not raise the turn card here. While he will have AT beat a lot with the c/r, he will also have every split pair of tens in the deck some percentage of the time too. And I think the flop bet is standard with only one card in the playing zone and the baby connecting cards.

I really like how you played it. nh.

Combo numbers:

33 = 4 (dead)
44 = 4 (dead)
TT = 4 (probably 2 unweighted) (dead)
34s = 4 (you are drawing to eight outs)
QT = 6 (you are drawing to three outs)
T4s, T3s are pretty tough to imagine...
Old 07-29-2006, 10:45 PM

I'm calling down without a good read. I can see him playing Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] like this. There's a slim chance he's pushing a monster draw like K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], we don't have much of a read. I think you have somewhere around 2 effective outs when behind and in this huge pot they're worth somewhere around 2/3 of a big bet. When you think of it like that your effective odds to calldown are looking pretty good.

I dig the rest.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:18 AM

He's getting like 7-1 on a calldown across both streets. I don't think he's right to play a two-outer like this. We both sort of suggested he's way behind and still calling down isn't atrocious because the pot is so big. But I think that folding in this spot should be the read-free default. Datamine the game for a half hour (50 hands) before you sit down and you can call the two bets because you'll have the best of it enough of the time against this player (maybe).
Old 07-30-2006, 09:21 AM

It always seems like you're boned (which you are), but I call the turn to improve and then call the river because he's unknown and I have a good hand.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:51 PM

I would fold the flop. Yes thats right, I said it. Getting 13-1, I would fold the flop.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:00 PM

I assume this is only because you aren't closing the action? You are getting 15.5-1 or something if they all make the call. You are getting around 25-1 implied. That's enough solely for the BDFD and BDSD, plus our overs have to be good at least sometime.

Or are you suggesting he will c/r here with one pair extremely infrequently, meaning we are always drawing to runner-runner. I think he'll also c/r here with 56, A2, diamond draws, etc., justifying the call.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume this is only because you aren't closing the action? You are getting 15.5-1 or something if they all make the call. You are getting around 25-1 implied. That's enough solely for the BDFD and BDSD, plus our overs have to be good at least sometime.

Or are you suggesting he will c/r here with one pair extremely infrequently, meaning we are always drawing to runner-runner. I think he'll also c/r here with 56, A2, diamond draws, etc., justifying the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most of the time when someone checkraises here, they will have a monster, meaning we are drawing dead, and other times they will have a FD which means were drawing to a 4 outer that may not be the best hand when we hit, and we'll get rivered alot when we do hit. Thats why I would fold here with no reads even given these nice pot odds.