Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Most likely got a DUI last night, tell me how big of an a**hole I am

So I went out to the bar last night for a couple beers, with the plan to take a cab home. My wife and son left yesterday morning for the beach, so I am home alone. After the bar, where I had quite a few shots and beers, we head to the strip club, where I don't drink at all. On the way home from the strip club (my buddy drove there), I start thinking about what a pain in the ass it is going to be to get someone to drive me over to my friends house tomorrow morning to get my car.

I come to the conclusion that it would just be easier for me to drive home, and that I am capable of doing so. None of my friends stop me. On the ride home I am trying to merge on to the parkway and end up rear-ending the car in front of me. He slammed on the brakes when merging, and in my slightly drunken state I did not respond as quickly as I should have. There was no damage to his truck, but I was in my wife's tiny Mazda and the entire hood folded up over the front of the car, making it undrivable from there.

The state police came and ended up giving me a breathilizer, which he said that I registered as under the legal limit, but barely. Since it was so close, and there was obviously alcohol in my system (i told him that I had 3 beers, it was actually probably closer to 8, over the course of about 4 hours), he said that he had to cuff me and take me to a local hospital for a blood test.

The officer was extremely nice about the whole thing, and told me that he thinks I won't have a problem passing the test. It will be a couple of days before I find out the results of the test. The worst part about the whole thing was that because my wife was out of town, I had to call my parents to come and accept responsibility for me, since they will not release you otherwise.

When it happened, I knew that I had definitely [censored] up. Now that it has sank in, I feel like I have let everyone that I know down. What the [censored] was I thinking, I have a 2 month old son and a beautiful wife who loves me more than anything. I can't believe that I put myself and the people that I love in this situation.

Yes, there is a chance that the test will come back below the limit, but I can't count on that because the limit is so damn low. My father-in-law got a DUI a couple of years ago, and lost his license for 3 months. If that happens to me, I dont know what the hell I would do. I drive around to a lot of different client locations on a weekly basis, and not having my license would be pretty much the worst thing that can happen.

I will stop rambling now, but please let me know how dumb I was. Or if any of you have any advice on how to handle my situation, I am definitely willing to listen. At this point, I think that i will probably never drink again.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Most likely got a DUI last night, tell me how big of an a**hole I

Not too far....
Old 07-29-2006, 11:26 AM

If alcohol f's up your decisionmaking so much that you decide to drive drunk, then quitting drinking for the rest of your life would be wise, indeed.

The potential loss of your license is the least of your concerns. Be happy you didn't kill anyone.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At this point, I think that i will probably never drink again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking responsibility for your actions should be commended but this line of thinking is somewhat incorrect in relevance to your situation. You can drink, you just shouldn't ever drink and drive again, that should be the lesson learned. Unless you are the type of person that when he starts to get a little sauced that he takes nose-dives at car keys?
Old 07-29-2006, 11:35 AM

I got a DUI a couple of years back. It happens, it was a stupid mistake, learn from it and don't do it again. Be thankful you didn't hurt anyone.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:36 AM

as you may gather, I used to drink.

a very similar situation is why I quit drinking - (well, I was also sick of it, was only drinking for the feeling intoxicated, and wanting to quit) - and I did something that fortunately didn't hurt or kill anyone. Scared the piss out of me and as I sat in my chair at home that night, I prayed that if God got me out of this I'd quit drinking.

that was almost a yr. ago -

I don't judge ya - just make it right. GL and let us know how it goes.

RB
Old 07-29-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Most likely got a DUI last night, tell me how big of an a**hole I *DELETED*

Post deleted by [censored]
Old 07-29-2006, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Most likely got a DUI last night, tell me how big of an a**hole I am

Be proactive. Start going to some AA meetings so that if it comes to trial, you can show good faith efforts to recognize a problem and pray the judge will be lenient.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:50 AM

My little brother has 2 DUI's...he moved to Korea where he doesn't own a car or have to worry about it following him around. We have some friends who think so little of him now - and myself & other friends have held a continuing discussion about this.

What you did was dead [censored] wrong. You know that, everyone else knows it. Unfortunately, many of us who drink have done it in the past also, and not been caught. My brother's first was the thing that triggered me to make sure I never did it again. It's a shame it came to that, but there is a strange bright side...it kept me from ever doing it.

Don't beat yourself up over it too much - just learn from it, make it right, and try and help others understand how (ironically) lucky you are.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:52 AM

I dont understand this stuff. I've been having the drinking and driving convo a lot lately as my roommate gets drunk almost on a daily basis lately and is always driving back here drunk. It really bothers me.

My Grandma died in a car accident involving a drunk driver all my friends know that I will not drive if I've been drinking, and almost give me [censored] for it. I've told my roommate that I dont like her driving back to our apartment (which happens to be in my mother's house...where my sister is walking around/playing outside) drunk and that if she's going to be drinking to either wait or stay where she is etc... She just tells me "I went to college I can handle myself" what [censored] logic.

Maybe I'm a prude, but I'd rather be a prude w/ no chance of losing my license or killing someone than an idiot who thinks their fine and nothing can happen.