Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 09:21 PM

Default Question about birth and how we made it here

These might sound like a stupid questions but I'm serious. I've never studied this stuff or talked about it with anyone.

Where do we come from? Mom, dad or something else?

Were we meant to be born?

Do we come from a unique sperm?

Would we still have been born no matter what sperm made it in the egg by the same two parents?

Would we still have been born but look different if one of our parents were someone else?

If a differnt guys sperm went into the egg would we still have been born but look different?

If dads sperm went into another women would we be born from that other women?

If the exact unique sperm that made us went into another women, and she got pregnant from it would we have been
born?

Could I have been born a female instead of male?

Thanks for any response
Old 07-28-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Question about birth and how we made it here

It depends.

You're welcome.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:32 PM

This sounds like one of those "out of the body" experiences.

You're basically looking at yourself from an outside view where you wonder who you are today, looking through your eyes as a soul, may be in someone else, but being you. It's quite confusing, but from which only an answer can come from someone who has an objective view with a deep philosophical thought process.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:43 PM

Within yourself, then, or from others.

We are what we are because we are. Sounds simplistic, but that's just it, I think.

Slight changes in little things, ripples across time. Sure, anything is possible.

The many-worlds interpretation allows you to be all different things you could possibly be in all those universes, if they sprout from a common timeline.

Whether this is the case or not, that we wonder about these things should make them at least in the realm of possible.

As to the out of the body experience part. Well, it'd be reasonable to think all the manifestations of you, including yourself, share a similar consciousness. Whether there is a Ur-consciousness from which all these different ones emerge is probably a different question.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:32 PM

After the rest has tried to answer the spiritual side I'll give the biological side a shot. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

1) You are genetically a combination off your father and your mother and shaped in your later life depending on your experiences.

2) Not biological....

3) Every sperm has a different genetic 'print' and thus you come from one unique sperm.

4) No, every sperm has a different genetic blueprint and thus would produce a different person. (consider that two different egg cells/sperm cells produce two different indivual brothers/sisters).

5) The genetic blueprint would be different and thus a different person would be born.

6) Same answer as answer nr.5.

7) Your gender is based on wether the sperm cell is XY or XX. XY produces a male, and XX produces a female. I would say though that if this is different than you are not the same person. Basically to produce the exact same 'you' all the conditions need to be the same, including whatever mutations your genome has.

Ps. I'm off on a vacation to italy, and english is not my native language. If you happen to be dutch I can explain it much more deeper. Just PM me and I'll get back to you eventually. Infact I need to shave on my biological knowledge so PM me whatever biological questions you have.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These might sound like a stupid questions but I'm serious. I've never studied this stuff or talked about it with anyone.

Would we still have been born no matter what sperm made it in the egg by the same two parents?

Would we still have been born but look different if one of our parents were someone else?

If a differnt guys sperm went into the egg would we still have been born but look different?

If dads sperm went into another women would we be born from that other women?

If the exact unique sperm that made us went into another women, and she got pregnant from it would we have been
born?

Thanks for any response

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you get off Daddy's computer and go back to your legos. C'mon now, be a good boy.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:01 AM

Default Good news and bad news

From mom, surely, and dad, probably. Yes.

Do not read any more of this post if you're getting easily nauseous.

The answer is : Not at all. The chances of You, the specific You, being born are the same as the chances of a cockroach in the Alps being stepped on by a foot soldier of Hannibal. Imagine a roulette wheel that has more slots than the atoms in the universe, and someone placing a bet that You will be born. That was the bet and ..you won. Although, "looking back" at the bet, you kinda feel dizzy.

Generally, yes.

No, someone else would. In that specific act of coitus that brought You into this world, a race was run between You and some 30-40,000,000 other runners (sperms).

Guess what? You won.

Now enjoy. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

(And yes, you technically "killed" some 39,999,999 of your "brothers" and "sisters" to get here. Congratulations.)

Would we still have been born but look different if one of our parents were someone else? If a different guys sperm went into the egg would we still have been born but look different?
As already stated, You would NOT have been born, if Your unique sperm had not won that race.

But the other person could very well have been born looking exactly like you do now! Human physiognomy runs in a wide variety (we are the only member of the fauna whose facial features are so distinguishable) but it is a finite variety. Two persons looking exactly alike happens.

If dad's sperm went into another woman would we be born from that other woman? If the exact unique sperm that made us went into another woman, and she got pregnant from it would we have been born?
No. The genetic constitution is different for every sperm/egg combination. A different and unique conscience is thus created.

Biologically speaking, the difference between males and females is so small as to be laughable. A few steps over a very thin line, is all it takes. In light of the findings of Biology, our efforts to severely distinguish the two sexes (facial hair, clothing, walk, language, etc) are shown to be purely social/artificial human constructions.

Monod
Rank
Old 07-30-2006, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Good news and bad news

You are exactly who you are. If you were even a little bit different, you are not yourself. Since you change constantly, you are only you for one particular instant in space and time.

Thus, you are not yourself.