Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 09:08 PM

Default Quasi-weird early 4.4 hand. Comments/advice appreciated.

A quirky hand comes up in a 4.4, it's early on. Only thing I've shown down is a turned straight with AJ.

Anyway, here goes.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

CO (t1440)
Button (t3140)
SB (t840)
Hero (t1710)
UTG (t1470)
UTG+1 (t2940)
MP1 (t1440)
MP2 (t3190)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T, 3.
UTG calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20, 2 folds, CO calls t20, Button calls t20, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) 4, 2, A (6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets t100</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="red">CO calls t100</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero calls t100</font>.

And I'm wondering if I shouldn't have c/r here instead. However, it was the first pot opponent played, and it's still pretty early. Unless opponent has a higher flush draw, which I didn't feel he had on that flop bet. OOP, it's a show of strength rather than a drawing hand, IMHO. So, AK, decent pair, worse ace was my read, in that particular order. Unless he has one diamond tied up in his holding, I'm drawing to 13 outs twice (diamonds and fives), pretty much spot on at 49.9%. Even if a diamond's tied up, I've 12 outs twice for 46.7%.

FWIW, I try to be a careful LAG, and I've TAGged it up with moderate success. And I don't pass up many perceived edges if I can help it, especially if it gives me the opportunity to play as a big stack, etc.

This being T3s aside, I'm not sure I played this aggressively enough, as this lets us all see a turn. Will continue the hand after a bit.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Quasi-weird early 4.4 hand. Comments/advice appreciated.

I'm ok with a check here. This early in the tourney, I'm not going to get too fancy. This early in the tourney, I don't think a check raise is as affective against the average 4.4'r. He'll call you all the way down with his A7 or pair of sixes. However, this will be a nice pot to take down if you catch. Take the odds they've given you, although I think I'd rather see a 5 than a spade.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:38 AM

Turn: (t420) 3 (3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets t200</font>, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero calls t200.</font>

He still likes his hand. The only way I'm putting him on 55 here is probably if he bets more at the pot. The less than half-pot bet feels weakish. So I figure he's still got a strong ace, playing turn cautiously 'cause I'm the BB, I'm the one that could have a five. If that's the case, shouldn't a c/r freeze him on the turn into calling, see what happens on river?

I like a jam too, but it'd be a spew, and probably more of a call for Villain than a c/c or c/r.

I don't know. I did manage a 5th in this one. However, I found spots where I could've actually improved my MTT play. This hand has bothered me for days.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:22 AM

I don't know. I'm not thinking strong ace with the preflop limps, but then again, I've seen it happen. I'd be worried most about the A5 or a set, but with a made hand, you'd figure he'd try and protect the obv flush draw out there and I think you've telegraphed it now. It's worth the call if you think he'll pay off the flush. Problem I have though is I tend to be too aggressive here and come over the top or even push because of his weak bet.
Now as I sit and ponder this, it may be best to fold here. You're behind to any ace and any pocket pair which could all be limped in PF. And, you could well be drawing dead to a bigger flush draw. I've seen QJs played this way a ton. The best card you can see would be the 5 of hearts on the river. That's it, I like a fold here, but let's keep going, what's next?