Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2006, 04:13 PM

Default Should I quit due to excessive bad beats???

I play online, mostly at PokerTime.com. Lately about the last 2 weeks I have just been getting bad beat-ed to death. I played 16 1-table tournies and got bad beat-ed out of 12 of them. I consider a bad beat when u r a 80% fave or better. Needless to say I was thoroughly disgusted. Anyways, that cost me about $200, playing 5,10, and $20 !-table tournies. So I decide to go back to the cash game, low limit, just the 50c/$1 NL table.
In a matter of 5 days i am just getting bad beat-ed all over the place, it was just killing me, costing me about another $200. So last night was just the killer for me, I have stayed patient throughtout this whole ordeal saying to myself "its just a phase, luck comes and goes, it will all even out" however what happened to me last night has just left me bewildered and broken.

NOTE : all this happend in about a 2hr span.
I'll describe these hands as briefly as possible not to bore u
Hand #1 - I have pocket 10's, I flop a 10, bet hard get a caller, after turn there are 3 diamonds on board, I go allin for around $100, guy calls me with a 4 of diamonds!!, just a 4, and spikes a dia on the river and wins a $270 pot off me. Horrible decision by the other player and just another sht beat for me. Horrible player gets rewarded for a horrible decision while I bust out to a 4 card flush with trip 10's

Hand #2 - I have pocket Jacks, I raise to $7 preflop. Another player goes all in for roughly $65. I call, (bad call by me, I know, but not when he flips his cards over), he shows pocket 3's. YES!!!!! right?, no, as u guessed it, he flops a 3 and busts me, another $140 pot screwed out of.

hand #3 - Im holding KK, I raise preflop to $5 get a couple callers, the board comes out all low cards and a guy bets all in $90 at me, I call. He turns over a total bluff, he has Ace-8, no pair, no draw, nothing. U guessed it, he turns an ace and busts me. Another $200 pot Im screwed out of. Now I am just livid. One more hand and thats it

Hand #4 - Im holdong pocket 5's, I call a modest $3 preflp raise. BAM, i spike a 5 on the flop. Guy bets $10 at me and I raise him to $30, he calls and the turn is a blank. He goes all in for like $120, I call. He turns over QJ\(top 2 pr), I am sitting there with a set, a 90% fave. BAM he rivers a Jack and busts me out of a $250 pot. unreal!!!

Right now I am so bitter and so overwhelmed I am just angry. Now I believe these pros arent even really incredible players, but just good players who get lucky or moreso, just dont get unlucky. Im not claiming to be anywhere near that level but I just dont know what more I could have done and what better positions I could ask to be in only to just get screwed out of all my $$. Now ive been bad beat-ed so much it would take me weeks to try to recover all these losses assuming I just dont get bad beat-ed again.

The thing I want some feedback on is this, I have a couple questions,
1) Am I just an unlucky person and it will always be this way so I should just stop now instead of thinking it will even out??
2) Is this just a phase I have to go thru?? and if so, How does anyone turn a profit when this is always happening???
3) is the internet just rigged or just so stupid I should forsake internet poker all together??

Sorry for the HUGE post but i just am so frustrated, bitter, pissed, and everything I just want answers for gettung fcked up and down the block for the last 2 weeks, its basically an insurmountable hill for me now.
thanks for any responses I may get
Old 01-21-2006, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Should I quit due to excessive bad beats???

You're focusing on the wrong problem. In all four hands, you got to a good position. You had put up less than half the money in the pot, and had about an 80% chance of winning it. Of course you'll lose 20% of these, but in the long run you'll make a lot of money. If you just told me about these four hands, without the frustration, I would say you must have had a great night since you should have had 16 other hands where you made a lot of money.

Where are those 16 hands? That's the question. Forget about the hands you played right (or at least got to a good position). You don't want to change those, even if they cost you money in the end. Look at the other hands to see if you went wrong somewhere, and missed opportunities for profit.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:35 PM

tl;dr

I read the title, though. If you are considering quitting poker due to excessive bad beats, then yes, you should quit.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:36 PM

This is my complaint Aaron. I am NEVER winning when I am in these GREAT situations. I am fine losing 20% of the time, but i am losing 90-100% of the time, its ridiculous. All the other meaningless hands I played dont mean anything, we're talking 20-30 dollar swings, these hands cost me over $600 and i lost EVERY 1 of them, just like I lost 12 of 16 tournies to the same garbage. It doesnt matter to me if i am playing all these hands perfectly, Im still gonna be in the shtter due to all these bad beats.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:37 PM

i mean, being in great position doesnt mean anything if you NEVER win when youre in this position
Old 01-21-2006, 04:38 PM

LEGENDARY, this is why I explained my situation so I didnt get a short-sighted answer like yours. I jst dont understand how to get "over" these beats when they dont stop.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:40 PM

I reread your post again Aaron and what Im saying is this, yes i should have had 16 other hands where i won but I didnt, these were my hands to win and I got screwed, what is a guy to do????
Old 01-21-2006, 04:41 PM

Okay. I've read your entire post now. I stand by my initial response. If you cannot handle bad beats, don't play poker. They happen. Get used to it or quit. It's that simple.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:45 PM

in other words, its not your nonstop bad beats, so "who cares!!"
Thanks for nothing
Old 01-21-2006, 04:50 PM

I think this is in the wrong forum, but assuming it isn't - here is my take.
Hand #1 - while you got your money in best - if you go back over the hand - i don't know exactly what you bet on the flop, but who is to say the guy didn't call with a diamond draw? When the third diamond hit, and you put all in - normally if you get called - you are losing. While you did get your money in best, you could have played it better - say a $40 bet on the turn, and saved $60 - because i assume you wouldn't have bet $60 at a 4 diamond board.
Hand 2 - it was a bad call, but why did you raise so high (7xBB) preflop? Don't you have a set raise (or two) so that people can never tell what you are holding? Plus, its Jacks, it was a bad call - usually you are going to be way behind with that call - but you ended up way ahead and lost. Some of that is just bad luck, more likely - the guy probably figured he could get you to fold your initial bet with a massive reraise - and he was wrong. This one was just bad luck - nothing more
Hand 3 - You raised $5 preflop and the flop came out rags. Somebody went all in - what do they usually turn over at the level you play at in this scenario? AK? TT-JJ? A set? I would have at least said to myself - hmmm - is this a set? But, regardless- you made the right call and lost - this one happens. He probably put you on a hand you would fold - AK, AQ, or some lower PP that didn't set. Of course you were ahead and you got way behind. BTW, how do you play it if they check the flop - what are you betting? How are you playing the turn after the ace? Can you fold KK? Most people think they can, but look at the plays you have made so far (JJ for something like $58 preflop and you pushed on a 3 diamond board with a set on the turn). My point is, i think there is a chance you are all in on this hand regardless of when it goes in.
Hand - 4 this is the only hand you can say was a true beat. I have lost this way - everyone has lost this way. You were lucky he held 2 pair, so you could get him all in. That is ideal for you. Don't sweat this one. My only question - what position were you in when you called the PFR? What position was the raiser in? You are only going to hit the set once every 8 times, and you are likely to be playing a flop with at least two overcards, so depending on your post flop play and reads, you may want to let 5's go preflop to a 3xbb bet. I wouldn't however, and I would have lost my stack on this hand. BTW, i am assuming he flopped top two on this hand, because you say the turn was a blank. Can you really blame him for his play? One more question - was he the original raiser?