Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 07:15 PM

Default 100/200 Bellagio

Ok game for my standards; I have a good seat. The lineup: three tights to my immediate left, two mediocre-bads, one solid, total donator, and a loose-ish passive.

One of the mediocre-bad limps, the donator limps, the loose-ish passive checks his post as he has posted a dead small and a big blind in the CO. I raise on the button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], blinds fold, all call.

4 to the flop for 10SBs:

7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Check to me and I bet, mediorce folds, donator and poster call.

3 to the turn for 6.5BBs:
7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Check to me and I check.

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Check, check....your action?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:28 PM

Default Re: 100/200 Bellagio

biet it all
Old 07-27-2006, 08:31 PM

In a live game I think I bet this. Online I give up.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:19 PM

Bet. I think you should bet the turn, though.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:28 PM

Board pairs on the turn, they both check and I check. River is a non-flushmaking facecard overcard and they both check again. I think I'm going to win this with a bet more than one time in 6.5, even against a donator and a loose-passive.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:29 PM

why would we bet here?... we have a "donator" in the game, who I'm assuming is donating by paying off made hands, so r we assuming he's gonna fold this one 4 some reason?.... I mean I don't play live enough (ever), but I can't imagine a bet here being profitable
Old 07-27-2006, 11:34 PM

Bet the river.

I think the flop play is a closer decision. The upside to betting is that so long as you don't get raised, it's the same as hackneyed "free card flop raise" i.e. they all check to you on the turn and you can elect to take a freebie to try and hit your gutter.

The downside is that you do get raised and now you have to pay 2 bets to hit your gutter when you could have seen the turn for free. Plus, checking on the flop may give you good blufff cards on the turn i.e. just about any Broadway card. And bluffing on those cards is easier - all other things being equal - because of the smaller pot created by a flop check.

Having bet the flop and been called in 3 spots, my default plan would be to check on the turn unless I improved. But the 7s does make a turn bet more appealing.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:53 PM

Fire Away -- weak player has A8 and will fold on the river, the donator has KT and was hoping to hit something. If you don't bet here, I have to question who 'the donator' at the table is...
Old 07-28-2006, 12:04 AM

I'm not sure I like the preflop raise or flop bet, but I'm pretty close to 100% sure that if you're going to do those things betting the turn is a must.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:10 AM

Also -- what are you doing, raising preflop with J9s -- if the players involved are weak and donating, they are just going to call and probably disregard your strength preflop on later steets. This play CANNOT be profitable and is really where you get yourself caught up -- getting the blinds out isn't that great of a thing because your hand is one that plays well multi-way. Also, by calling and not raising preflop, you get your donating opponents less invested, thus less likely to call your river bluff.