Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Hotmail Junk Mail

I have e-mails at GMail, Yahoo, and Hotmail. I use Yahoo for all personal emails, GMail for all business-type/professional e-mail, and Hotmail whenever I buy something/sign up for any sites.

My problem is that every time I log into Hotmail, I have like 1034252 junk mail emails, and have to individually click them to put them into the junk mail folder. I occassionally use Yahoo or GMail to sign up for sites/buy items online, but the junk mail filter works much better on these sites, I rarely get junk mail in my inbox. Does anyone know how to get rid of this junk mail in Hotmail? I used to "add @xxxxx.com to blocked senders list", but I reached the max a long time ago and the spammers are running all over my account now.

Any Hotmail users with any help? Yes, I know Hotmail sucks compared to the other two e-mail services, which is why I use it for most of the junk. However, it is still a pain to delete so much junk every time I log in.

DN
Old 07-27-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Hotmail Junk Mail

don't use hotmail.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:09 PM

Deez:

Why don't you send your hotmail account a gmail invite and start a new gmail account to handle what you currently do in hotmail?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deez:

Why don't you send your hotmail account a gmail invite and start a new gmail account to handle what you currently do in hotmail?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using this account for around 8 years and have all my registration stuff for that time period tied to it. I know it's stupid, but I don't want to move it all, make subfolders, filters, etc all the things that make changing e-mail accounts that you've had for a long time tedious.

Yes, I do realize Hotmail sucks, but I have had this account for so long and it is tied to basically all of my long-standing log-ins and subscription services.

I know there are Hotmail users out there. Show yourselves and tell me if I am screwed on this subject.

DN
Old 07-27-2006, 05:23 PM

I may be misunderstanding you, but what about this:
Set your junkmail settings to only deliver stuff to your inbox that is from a sender in your address book. Then you'd have to make sure you add senders to your contacts if you don't want them filtered out.

Then again, it sounds like everything in that account is spam, so I'm not sure exactly what you want to accomplish.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:34 PM

If you only get junk mail in that account you can click the button that lets you select all.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I may be misunderstanding you, but what about this:
Set your junkmail settings to only deliver stuff to your inbox that is from a sender in your address book. Then you'd have to make sure you add senders to your contacts if you don't want them filtered out.

Then again, it sounds like everything in that account is spam, so I'm not sure exactly what you want to accomplish.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the best I can do, I may just change e-mails. 80% of the mail to this account is spam, but only 50% of it gets put into the spam folder. The other 20% is stuff that I need, such as updates to certain sites that I subscribe to, transactions receipts, stock trade confirmations, etc. I don't think making a "approved senders" list would be worth the time.

DN
Old 07-27-2006, 05:38 PM

Hotmail is horrible. 75% of the mail I get in my Inbox is spam (my spam filter is turned all the way up). 10% of the mail I get in my Spam folder is not spam. The new version doesn't even work in Mozilla, which is effing pathetic. I would love to switch to gmail, but like you, have been using Hotmail for so long that it seems like a major PITA to switch over.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:41 PM

I use hotmail too and I have noticed the junk mail getting through the filter has increased dramatically recently. Not sure but I will probably start using my G-Mail account now.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use hotmail too and I have noticed the junk mail getting through the filter has increased dramatically recently. Not sure but I will probably start using my G-Mail account now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, in the last week I've noticed a lot more spam in my Hotmail inbox.

I basically use Hotmail for the same thing as the OP. I just don't do anything with it. I have 654 unread messages in my inbox.