Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 01:36 PM

Default \"Protected Pots\" ?

I'm reading Sklansky and Miller's, NLHE: Theory & Practice. They mention protected pots, but don't really define what that is, though they give a couple of examples.

I am interpreting a protected pot to be one where the presence of other possible bettors "protects" the bets already committed from raises and reraises because it would be too expensive to price others out of the pot--either because there are so many in the pot, or in the case of a player being all-in, because the size of the pot & the stack of the other bettors still in would make it too expensive.

Can some help me with my interpretation. Also, since this is the first time I have read mention of this concept, would someone share his/her insight into how this idea affects his/her strategy?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:18 PM

Default Re: \"Protected Pots\" ?

I have always heard the term protected pots used mostly in the context of limit hold em, but what it means is that the pot has gotten too large and that there are too many people in the pot for a bluff to succeed. The pot is protected because no one is going to let the pot get pushed without a showdown. Although I don't know if this same term can be applied to a NL game quite the same since you can make a large bet in relation to the size of the pot. But usually a protected pot is protected because it is too large for a single bet to be enough to take it down.

So if the pot is protected, don't bluff at it. Have a hand, and expect your value bet to get paid off on the end.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:51 PM

A pot can be protected for a couple of reasons:
1) a call station is in the hand, so a bluff is very unlikely to work
2) someone is all-in already and there is only a small (or no) side pot, no reason to bluff

and maybe a few more.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I don't know if this same term can be applied to a NL game quite the same since you can make a large bet in relation to the size of the pot. But usually a protected pot is protected because it is too large for a single bet to be enough to take it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly can apply in exactly the same way. Not all NL poker is deep-stacked! If your remaining stack is ten times the pot, there are four opponents still in the hand, and they each have stacks remaining of roughly the pot size, the pot is protected for exactly the same reason. You can't make it so unattractive that the small stacks won't call you all-in if they have a hand.

The reasons NewUser mentioned are other reasons why the pot may be protected (even in deep stacked games), as discussed in NLHE:TAP
Old 07-28-2006, 12:39 AM

The descriptions so far have been accurate, but IMO have missed the bare essence of what a protected pot is.

If, for whatever reason, any bet is guaranteed to be called, the pot is protected. A protected pot is one in which any bet will definitely be called.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:35 PM

Thanks for feedback. I have some follow-up.

Is this an advanced concept--i.e., is your average low limit player going to be aware of this concept, or will he continue to bet at the pot? (my hunch is yes,no,yes)

At what level will the average player understand this?

How do skilled players exploit this concept?

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:44 PM

I don't believe your average low limit player will be aware of it. No.

I see it as something instinctual in most players. It is a real basic reaction amongst typical low limit players.

Without considering pot odds they say to themselves," pot's pretty big, I better call." Or," I've gone this far. Can't turn back now." That type of thing.

I guess you can use this knowledge to guage whether or not you think they are pot committed, and decide on your play from there. If you think they may view the pot as something they must protect now, you can confidently shove with the nuts and expect to get called.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:07 AM

Above all, skilled players 'exploit' this concept by not bluffing in to protected pots. It's also a great time to make a big valuebet with the nuts.