Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 11:45 AM

Default When to do a squeeze/sandwhich play?

When is the optimum time to do such a play and what pot odds help create a scenario where this is a +EV play?
There are probably other posts on this any links would be helpful. I've only tried this play a couple of times and usually everyone folds preflop to my play.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:49 AM

Default Re: When to do a squeeze/sandwhich play?

this question is pretty vague...i dont know where to begin
Old 07-27-2006, 11:56 AM

i agree. im not even sure what a squeeze/sandwhich play is. i thought it was when two colluders [censored] people up by putting constant pressure on them from each side
Old 07-27-2006, 12:30 PM

are we talking about a ham or turkey sandwich?

well seriously, if you are talking about the squeeze play mentioned in harrington volume 2, i think you are supposed to do it when one person raises, and another person calls. you are supposed to raise fairly big because you think they are both weak and wont be able to call. this "squeezes" the initial raiser between you and the caller. it helps if you have a pretty tight image too, but i think its mostly a play for tournaments. i'm sure it has some uses in cash games but personally i've never found the need to use it as a complete bluff.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:40 PM

The best time to do a squeeze is usually when a Lp raiser with wide pf raising range raises and is called by another player that likely isn't too strong.

Its important to make sure that the original raiser and the player that called that raiser will respect your reraise (so if the guy is 70% vpip, dont bother).

Example: 6max 50 nl

folds to Co who is 33% vpip, 18% pfr. Co raises $2, button (25/11) calls that raise. It folds to you on the BB, you raise to $8 (maybe even $9, but enough to get them the [censored] out of the hand).

Notice the vpips of the players involved, they both seem sane enough to fold most hands to your reraise.

Also, notice the large pfr range of the CO, the pfr % along with the position that player chose to raise from lets us know we most likely arent dealing with a big hand.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:38 PM

jaker,
The squeeze is definitely used in cash games as well as tournaments. I wouldn't try it in a low stakes game where it's likely your squeeze will get called a majority of the time.

OP, jaker and Brian described it pretty well. Another thing to remember is you want to squeeze with semi-decent hands, so if you're called you're not completely screwed. I would never squeeze with an easily dominated hand like AT or KJ. Hands like suited connectors and pocket pairs are much better.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:41 PM

I've only squeezed once at low limits when I had 72o and a monster read on my opponents b/c I had been playing against them for hours.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:42 PM

Brian's post is spot on.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the responses, I noticed people talking about making this kind of play in the high stakes games and tournaments are obvious, but I hadn't heard much discussion about it for the lower stakes. It seems that alot of players are too bad to fold in this scenario, so as brian says its use is pretty limited. Thanks again.