Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 10:43 AM

Default When to cr river?

I looed at my stats and realised that I almost never cr the river.

Any thoughts about when to do it.
Below is what I came up with.

If I hit the river with something good most of the time I simply bet out, I think that is best at least 2/3 of the times since it might be a scare card and he might check through with ui high cards or might fold to a cr so what I have looked for is scenarios when I should cr.

It is best against avid value bettors that like to sd.
If I have not shown any agression postflop and a pfr is betting fl and turn on auto I like to bet out.

If the board is scare like 26,q,k and I have shown some agression but been pushed back I can be sure that he has a big hand(TP kind of hand) that he will value bet on the river and then I will cr if I hit big.

If the agression post comes from a non pfr it is more likely he have hit and then I will be more likely to cr.

Any other thoughts would be welcome.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM

Default Re: When to cr river?

Occasionally I'll do it with superstrong hands like if I bet/3-bet the flop with 66 on a 65T two heart board, bet a low turn, and maybe check certain non-heart rivers. I think this works a good amount of the time to be profitable.

Otherwise I'll do it with a big pair on a QT643 board or so, to make up for the times I check AK to them on the river.

It can also be good when you almost know their hand. Like button raises, you call in BB with T9. Flop T94. You checkraise. He calls a low turn. River is an ace and you checkraise. Often a good play.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It can also be good when you almost know their hand. Like button raises, you call in BB with T9. Flop T94. You checkraise. He calls a low turn. River is an ace and you checkraise. Often a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use this a lot
Old 07-27-2006, 12:01 PM

It's pretty rare because generally when you are strong enough to check raise, you don't want to risk letting it get checked through.

I do use this occasionally in short-handed play though against calling stations that have the bet reflex. They are quite common actually. e.g.

UTG calling station with bet reflex limps, folded to hero in SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] who raises. UTG calls.

Flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets, UTG calls.

Turn is 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets, UTG calls.

River is 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (or some other card that is potentially scarey, but probably didn't help them)

Hero checks, UTG bets, Hero raise, UTG calls and shows 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I do this if I've had to fold to these river bets in the past or I've seen this player autobet when checked to in position quite often. It potentially buys you some free showdowns and fold equity in the future, but it also somewhat makes up for the times you bet the flop and turn against a calling station with whiffed overs and have to give up on the river when he turns over his junk hand that made bottom pair on the turn.

Another related situation is when a calling station with bet reflex limps on the button and you're in the BB. If I hit top pair I will usually wait for the turn to check raise him there because it is unbelievably common for people to bet anything when the blinds check to them.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:00 PM

A common one for me is when the following takes place:
1) I make a disguised hand on the river (ie. straight, set or 2-pair)
2) I have a very good idea of what the players hold.
3) I am very confident that I have good position on the person whom I suspect will bet the river.

Ie. I have J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in BB.
UTG raises, CO calls, SB calls, I call.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)
SB checks, I check, UTG bets, CO raises, SB folds, I call, UTG 3-bets, CO calls, I call.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
I check, UTG bets, CO calls, I call.

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
I check, UTG bets, CO calls, I raise, UTG calls, CO calls.

UTG shows AKo for one pair of aces.
CO shows ATs for one pair of aces.
I show JTs for a straight. MHIG.

Final pot: 16 BB.

Check/raising vs. Donking this river in this hand had a +2BB difference. Quite significant.

-Caddy
Old 07-27-2006, 03:11 PM

That is some intersting calling on the flop there, although probably correct.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:15 PM

2 scenarios I can think of:

1. When I hit my full house on the river, when it is obvious my opponent has flush and I havent shown quite enough agression to indicate that I am drawing to a full house. Betting out the now pairs board often scares the flush owner into calling. However if they are hyper-agressive, I just donk/3-bet.

2. When I have a hand planning to check-raise the turn, I check the turn and my opponent checks behind on an obvious draw. If my opponent does not hit this draw I check-raise agressive opponents. If you bet they'll fold unless the small chance they actually have a hand, howeever if you check, they may bet either hand, so you can gain 2 bets if they have a hand, and 1 if they are bluffing.
Ill have to make sure my opponent is agressive enough for this to be worth it. If theres a reasonable chance hes just trying for a cheap showdown ill bet.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:01 PM

I just did this river c/r. It made me laugh.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP (poster) 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

River: (7.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 11.70 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 9s As (flush, ace high).
MP has Tc Td (two pair, jacks and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.70 BB. </font>
Old 07-28-2006, 11:29 PM

thx for all good posts