Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2006, 10:32 AM

Default upgrading to wireless questions

Hi all. I want to upgrade to a wireless connection on my upstairs computer. Right now i have broadband on the main computer downstairs, so im guessing i need a wireless router for the cable modem downstairs, and a wireless card for the computer upstairs. I emailed CompUSA about this, and they told me that it would be 129.99 for installation, plus parts. I basically have three questions

1. Should I pay them to do it, or should i buy the parts myself and install them?

2. What is a good wireless router and wireless card combinations?

3. How much is this going to cost total?
Old 01-21-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Re: upgrading to wireless questions

$130 is highway robbery. Don't pay that unless you are PC disabled (and if you are, you will be getting your money's worth unless you have a friend that can pitch in for the 10 minutes it takes).

You can get a good "g" router for $30 if you keep an eye out for sales, rebates, etc. I got mine at Best Buy (Netgear) for $20 or $30 w/o rebate.

The PC will need a PCI or USB wireless adapter. They cost about $20 - $30 again, same deal as routers. PCI goes inside the box, USB plugs into the port and can be transferred from computer to computer (added convienience if you need it).

If you move up to "enhanced g" you can probably expect to pay twice for each item, and you should try to ensure that you have the same router and adapter brand.

Enhanced g essentially doubles data rates (5.4 vs 10.8 MB/s in a perfect world). I find that my laptop (standard g) does run at a lower data rate than my Comcast braodband (which is rated at 6 MB/s), but not that I ever really notice.

People like Linksys, Netgear seems pretty good, D-Link can be so-so, Belkin is all right for a value brand, I hear SMC is nice.

(edited data rates)
Old 01-27-2006, 12:46 PM

Make sure you get a 802.11G router and card; for speed. It should be much less the compusa is saying AND if you want to save; and are only going to be browsing or playing one table poker you could get away with a 802.11B router and card.

You could get a 802.11B router for about 30$ and network card for under 20$.

check www.pricewatch.com for the best computer prices.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:43 PM

$130 is way too much. Ireally like SMC products, that's all I use. I picked up one of these for around $5.oo after rebate. Works like a charm. They currently have a rebate on it at Newegg.com, but not as nice as the rebate a couple months back.

SMC SMCWBR14-G