Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 03:50 PM

Default Will cash games be replaced by tournaments?

I've played on Party (& Empire) for 3 1/2 years.
For 3 years I've been cashing out almost every week thinking "this is too good to be true -it's not going to last".
This year it became more difficult. The limit games died, partly because of introducing the new software that made it easier to multi-table (which led to overfishing), partly due to bots (and god knows what else) and partly due to increasing popularity of NL. So I switched to NL.
Then Party stopped giving out so many bonuses and stopped promos that put cash in our pockets and they dismantled their VIP program.
Obviously, they're trying to get rid of the cash player. The last VIP promotion (are most VIP's cash players?) was 30 seats to a tournament, WSOP.
Within a year, Party is going to be all tournaments, all the time. With this Monster thing, they're actively trying to get their cash players to switch to tournaments. In case cash players don't get the message, they introduced a crippling rake increase via the bogus Monster promo. If you're a cash player, you're going to be contributing towards tournaments whether you like it or not. By hook or by crook, we will force you to play tournaments.
It is so obvious to me that Party is in the process of doing away with cash games all together. For some reason, this is the new company policy, like it or not.
If you're a cash player you need to move from Party - they're no longer interested in your business.
The question is, will other sites follow this policy?
On the other hand, the Monster promo, all 8 months of it, could seriously backfire. A casual player who entered several tournaments, sat their for hours on end and made no money is not coming back to poker. Cash games ARE the heartbeat of poker.
Think about it - all these Monster freerolls are on Saturday nights. Why is Party trying to move their cash players to tournaments on a Saturday night?
Which only leaves us with Sit'n'Go's...
Old 07-26-2006, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Will cash games be replaced by tournaments?

[ QUOTE ]
Will cash games be replaced by tournaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:05 PM

I think that Party makes more money from ring games than from tourney. I can understand the concern though.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:33 AM

the rake party gets is nuts at ring games no chance.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that Party makes more money from ring games than from tourney. I can understand the concern though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Party (or any other site) would not want to try and get rid of cash games; that is their primary bread and butter...They would prefer everyone playing cash games with capped pots vs. big tourneys.

Players though may be evolving their interest more from cash games to tourneys... Good question.

F