Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 02:34 PM

Default AK butchered by novice play?

This my first post and I am making it for two reasons. One to get feedback on the hand which I expect should have been played differently. The other to see if I can convert the hand and post it successfully. I have lurked at the forum long enough. I should get in and take my beating. Maybe I will learn from it. I need to.

Villian seems to be a tight player and very likely more capable than I. I have him at roughly 15% VPIP after 46 hands. MP2 is possibly much looser with 54% in about the same number of hands. Over all I think my preflop play is reasonably tight at 17.5% for 2300 recorded hands but I suspect I leak like a seive after the flop. I am net positive after the 2300 hands but so little It could go away in one or two hands. Anyway I digress. Please teach me how I should have played this hand.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG :#A500AF(Villian)/ raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG :#A500AF(Villian)/ caps</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 15.50 BB, between Hero, Villian and MP2.</font>
Old 07-25-2006, 02:40 PM

Default Re: AK butchered by novice play?

Check/call flop, fold turn UI. This is spew.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:51 PM

What have you seen villain 3-bet with? That is probably pretty close to his capping range. Villain's cap probably means he has at least AK, maybe AQs, but probably a big PP. What is the other guy got that he is sticking around with? These are the questions to think about during the hand.

As to your play. Bad. The flop donk is horrible against someone you think is better than you. Calling the turn bet is bad, ace high isn't going to win this. Calling the river bet is horrible.

Preview every post to get rid of the weird color codes in the post.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:01 PM

*Grunch*

You have any stats on how often Villian raises pre-flop?

I check/call the flop. Why donk out? You have nothing right now except a weak draw, which is to top pair.

For the turn, unimproved, I'd probably check/fold. MP2 not leaving the pot leads me to believe he has a piece of the flop, so we need to pair. We're probably up against a big PP from the Villian. If you have reads that he'll 3-bet with less than premium hands, then peel one off, but other than that, even with top pair on the river, you're probably going to lose or split.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:01 PM

I agree with the above posters. You beat AQ, AT and KQ and those hands aren't even in cap range for some tight players. You're behind or everything else (except AK).

Also, on an uncoordinated flop like that MP2 probably isn't hanging around with absolutely nothing.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:04 PM

Thanks I understand what you are telling me about the play of the hand and appreciate the feedback but I don't understand about the color codes. The post looks normal on my system?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:10 PM

Does everyone agree on pre-folp re-raise? I just call against an UTG raiser who'll have position on me. Re-raise when in position.

check-call the flop.

Im not sure if I stick around for the river. I have 6 outs to top pair, but we don't know what that is worth. Probably equivalent of about 3-2 clean outs. That's a fold.

Definitely fold river as played. You are overcalling for christ's sake!
Old 07-25-2006, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks I understand what you are telling me about the play of the hand and appreciate the feedback but I don't understand about the color codes. The post looks normal on my system?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't see :-#-A-5-0-0-A-F (minus the dashes) in front of "Villain" when you preview the post?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:17 PM

Thanks, his preflop raise stat was about 8% and he raised with 99, KK, AA, and QQ. I guess I should have looked at that BEFORE I reraised. Thank you. (By the way your read was perfect he had KK)
Old 07-25-2006, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does everyone agree on pre-folp re-raise? I just call against an UTG raiser who'll have position on me. Re-raise when in position.

check-call the flop.

Im not sure if I stick around for the river. I have 6 outs to top pair, but we don't know what that is worth. Probably equivalent of about 3-2 clean outs. That's a fold.

Definitely fold river as played. You are overcalling for christ's sake!

[/ QUOTE ]

1. You are likely ahead of villain pre-flop with AK, it's always a 3-bet, learn to play aggressively out of position.

2. When villain caps we need to put on our thinking caps. If villain is tight this isn't good, means we are at best looking at a split and are at worst facing a big PP.

3. Calling down with ace high against tight pre-flop cappers is going to cost you a lot of money. c/f the turn.