Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Semibluff with 99 on KKx board - ok?

So, this looks like a fun table. I think the pre-flop raise is pretty standard. It was my first orbit at this table so no reads. A bit surprised with all the calls...
How's my bet on the flop? I thought with two Kings on the table the chance someone has a King is pretty slim, that's why I c/b into 4 players. With the big bet (I normally would bet $6-$8 here) I'm trying to convince everyone I have a King.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($25)
Button ($15.45)
PietM ($27.75)
BB ($27.20)
UTG ($45.45)
MP ($16.65)

Preflop: PietM is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. PietM posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">PietM (poster) raises to $2</font>, BB calls $1.75, UTG calls $1.75, MP calls $1.75, CO calls $1.75, Button folds.

Flop: ($10.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">PietM bets $10</font>
Old 07-25-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Semibluff with 99 on KKx board - ok?

whats ur plan on the turn if called
Old 07-25-2006, 01:48 PM

If I get called I think I'm behind and check/fold...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:53 PM

After that many people call preflop (and FWIW I think I'd either make it $4 or just limp along, $2 is rarely going to be enough to get what you want here), I'm checking the flop first to act. If the action goes bet-call or bet-raise before it gets back to me, I can fold pretty confidently. If one guy bets and everyone else gets out of the way, I'll contemplate playing on in a manner determined by my read on the villain. If it checks through and a card less than 9 hits (and not a 5), I'd probably lead out for $10 and see what happens.

EDIT: Eh, $4 preflop is probably overkill, but $3 looks good.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:59 PM

Well, first of all, this isn't a semi-bluff. A semi-bluff is when you bet or raise a decent draw. This is a CB into the whole field. I think with that many folks in the hand, I limp preflop and play for set value.

Also, no one's folding a King here. Why do you have to bet more to convince them that you have a king? If you choose to bet it, $6-$8 would do and only King's and 55 could call you.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:04 PM

Ok, the term 'semi-bluff' isn't suitable for this situation, I agree. But I thought I was ahead here more often than not.

A simple call preflop and going for set-value would've been better here, I agree.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:08 PM

So I am assuming you are also doing this with 22, AQ, and any other hand you may have happened to raise preflop?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I am assuming you are also doing this with 22, AQ, and any other hand you may have happened to raise preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, good one. I'm not sure. AQ, maybe. 22 not (don't know why?). I just figured my 99 could still be good here...
Old 07-25-2006, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, good one. I'm not sure. AQ, maybe. 22 not (don't know why?). I just figured my 99 could still be good here...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you said....

[ QUOTE ]
If I get called I think I'm behind and check/fold...

[/ QUOTE ]

So in reality, there is no way you are getting to showdown anyway. Even if your hand is best, you are just hoping that noone has a king, and will fold. It doesn't matter what you are holding.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(and FWIW I think I'd either make it $4 or just limp along, $2 is rarely going to be enough to get what you want here)

[/ QUOTE ]
$2 is perfectly consistent with the 4BB+1/limper guideline. I'd play it the same preflop, you very likely have the best hand, but it doesn't play well in a multiway pot so you raise for value and to thin the field (which didn't happen, but that's being results orientated).
[ QUOTE ]
With the big bet (I normally would bet $6-$8 here) I'm trying to convince everyone I have a King.

[/ QUOTE ]
This reasoning is horrible.