Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Flopped set on a straight flush board in a multi-way pot

I ran into this three times Friday night, and still can't decide how to play it.

Normally the decission with a flopped set. Set on a monotone board - easy push. Set on a 3 straight board - easy push. Heads up - easy push. But put it all together with four callers, and things get a bit hairy.

Overall the table is loose and moderately aggressive. The villains are all equally bad, the only difference between them is whether they'll call you down with bottom pair, or if they'll check-raise you with bottom pair [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. The one other TAG at the table apparently was the only one in the hand who didn't like his hole cards.

MP is one of the loose-passive ones.

0.25/0.50 NLHE 6-max (6 players)

Stacks -
Hero - $93
SB - $83
BB - $37
UTG - $46 (this is the TAG who'll fold)
MP - $11
CO - $17

Hero is on the button w/ 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG folds, everyone else limps

($2.50) Flop <font color="blue">(5 players)</font> 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB bets $0.50, MP calls, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5</font>, BB calls, MP folds

($13) Turn <font color="blue">(2 player)</font>: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets $32 (all-in), Hero......?

What's my line, and why?

edited to change MP to BB on turn action...love manually entering HH's lol
Old 07-25-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Flopped set on a straight flush board in a multi-way pot

MP folds flop, then pushes turn???

You know what, I don't have the slightest clue what I'd do here. Probably fold given the massive turn overpush, because I like lower variance. But I could easily see you being ahead here, too, so ... meh. Sorry I'm not much help.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:08 PM

MP folded and then bet on the turn. Bad HH. I assume BB went all-in.

Since we all limped, we can't discount 9T, Ax suited (diamonds) or 7s or 8s. All have us crushed. I just can't see dumping my stack on bottom set with this board.

Disclaimer: I am not a poker expert. I'm not even a good player. Yet.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:14 PM

Calling has got to be +EV, IMO. I don't think he ever plays Ax[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] this way. This looks like A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Jx, sometimes a small flush that wanted to wait for a safe turn then commit you.

I just think that lots of times you're way ahead and sometimes you're behind a flush and then, hell, you have 10 outs at least.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think that lots of times you're way ahead and sometimes you're behind a flush and then, hell, you have 10 outs at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but....there's ALSO a straight out there too. So there are almost twice as many ways for me to be behind. Add that to the fact that both straight and flush are pretty obvious and villain is usually pretty passive. I think the chances of me being ahead here are pretty small.

I'm not getting the proper odds to call with just 10 outs.

Or am I being paranoid?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:46 PM

If he's truly passive I can fold. When I'm playing good I will make huge folds against passive guys showing strength - they have the nuts. Of course you should also value bet hard with very marginal hands. If he checked the turn here, you should bet the turn &amp; the river.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's truly passive I can fold. When I'm playing good I will make huge folds against passive guys showing strength - they have the nuts. Of course you should also value bet hard with very marginal hands. If he checked the turn here, you should bet the turn &amp; the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, if he'd checked, I'm making a full PSB on both turn and river. But an open-push like this scares me.