Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Does he really have me beat?

First hand at the table and first hand ever against this villain so my reads might be a bit sketchy still [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

0.50/1.00 NLHE 6-max (5 players)

Stacks:
Hero - $100
UTG - $100

Hero is BB w/ K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="red">Hero raises to $7</font>, UTG calls, SB folds

($15) Flop <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets $10, <font color="red">UTG raises to $93 (all-in)</font>, Hero........?

They WHY is more important to me than the WHAT. Help me decide whether to fold or call.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Does he really have me beat?

On a drawy board like this, I probably call. Villain could have a set, but there are a lot of other hands in his range that you crush.

If the board were like T82 rainbow or something and the action was the same, I'd be much more likely to fold.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:38 PM

you cant call with stacks this size.you are facing at least two pair way more often then a draw.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:41 PM

First hand at the table? Yikes. Just flip a coin. You have a good bit of equity against the 'average' NL$100 player's range here.

FWIW, I probably fold without a read one way or the other.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you cant call with stacks this size.you are facing at least two pair way more often then a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but folding JUST because I'm 100BB deep is really bad play. 100BB just isn't all that much. I'll admit that I should be more cautious when than I would if villain had, say, 30BB, but I shouldn't auto fold here.

The question is, how likely am I ahead here? If I'm fairly certain I'm behind, then I fold fast. If it's close, then my stack size becomes a factor, and I can find a fold. But if I think there's a significant chance I'm ahead, then this is an easy call, even for a 100BB stack.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First hand at the table? Yikes. Just flip a coin. You have a good bit of equity against the 'average' NL$100 player's range here.

FWIW, I probably fold without a read one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my first instinct was to fold, and then I though there was no way anyone plays a monster hand this fast. He's practically begging me to fold. Which is why I'm asking for opinions.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:48 PM

I'm not saying fold, but I keep seeing people on 2+2 say "he can have a draw here, you should call". That is WRONG WRONG WRONG. If his range is {set, 2pair, draw} it's an EASY fold.

The only way you call here is if his range includes one pair hands or worse.

(btw by "draw" I'm assuming he doesn't have a huge range of random 7x hands here. eg. he might have 77 or 67, but not J7)

Now, personally I'm leaning towards a call. The reason is it's very very rare to see a set overbet like this. Almost everyone wants to suck you in with a smaller raise when they flop a set.

Nothing wrong with folding, though. I hate playing vs. unknowns. Get some datamining, dude!
Old 07-24-2006, 04:54 PM

That limp-call action has me worried though.

realistically Ah7h, 6h7h, 56s, 97s, 55, 66, 88 play this way. All of those are favorites over you here.

TT+, AhQh usually raise preflop. Those are the hands you
prefer to see - and you are still beat a bunch of the time.

77 is the only hand that plays this way that you clearly beat. You should fold.

On the other hand, when you come in off the street and start raising people who like to see every pot, sometimes they play back at you hard to show you who is boss. And your flop bet looks like a cbet. And their bet doesn't look like it wants calling, which might be to maximize FE.

So I might go the other way, once I know this punk.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:06 PM

I used to call hands like this a lot on drawy boards, thinking that a villain never plays a set like this. But it seems like villain always has a set here. I'd fold.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:25 PM

Theres two hearts and three to a straight. The overbet could be a somewhat thoughtful player with a set, two pair, or QQ-99 overpair. I think KK and AA would have been raised preflop. I think I would find a fold here without a read, but its close.