Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 07:50 AM

Default My last 75-150 stud game

I usually play hold'em but have ventured recently into 75-150 stud at foxwoods, after watching for a little bit and thinking how bad some of the guys play. I still think they play bad but the swings are more than i'm comfortable with.

Here's my last hand:

I have split Jacks with a 5, 2 to my right is the bring-in, and there is a Q and a K after me, so I just toss in the $25. I'm in the 7 seat and 5 of us see the flop.

I make open Jacks on 4th. I bet $150, expecting the hand to end right there. The man in the 8 seat, a seemingly conservative player who's been getting crushed, thinks for a long time and then calls the $150 with his 10 of hearts and 2 of hearts. The gentlemen in the 2 seat makes it $300 with his offsuit 6 8, two folds in between, I raise to $450, the 8 seat calls, and the 2 seat caps it at $600.

Here's why I don't think I'll play $75/$150 stud again. This should be a great spot for me, but I really didn't want this much action. The clueless guy in the 2 seat has (at best) 3 eights, and more likely 8s and 6s. I've never seen him just call with pocket 8s on 3rd street, and believe he would have raised to $75 if he had pocket 8s. He says he made 3 eights on 4th. who knows. The gentleman in the 8 seat clearly has a flush draw (although I guess 3 10s is a possibility but not what I put him on).

5th street the other Jack lands on the 2 seat, I pick up a deuce, and the 8 seat catches a heart.

I dramatically pause for a long while staring at the 8 seats cards, in part hoping to ensure that the idiot in the 2 seat sees the 3 hearts and stops ramming/jamming.

I check, 8 seat bets, 2 seat calls and I call.

6th street the 2 seat catches a 5 (my other hole card), I catch a 4, and the 8 seat catches some rag.

I pause for maybe 20 seconds, then I check. 8 seat bets, 2 seat calls, I call.

on the river I check in the dark, 8 seat bets in the dark, 2 seat folds, and I catch a Q and don't fill.

Now the 8 seat has told me earlier on that he has made his hand, and I'm so confident that he's got the flush that I don't even call his river bet. He tosses his cards face up on the table, showing the flush.

I ask the 2 seat what he thinks I had, and he says 2 pair. We get into a discussion for a few minutes about how clueless he is ( and most at the table already know this) but I shouldn't really be upset at his action. On this particular hand he cost me some money but I was getting a lot of my money in with the best of it, which is the goal in poker.

But when I didn't fill on the river and I lost that $3K plus pot I just decided that I don't like the size of that swing.

And even though bald John (2 seat) thinks I played the hand badly by not raising again on 5th, nothing would have changed. I couldn't have gotten him to fold even if I tried to wrestle the cards out of his hands.

There's no doubt that there is a ton of money to be won in the Foxwoods $75 - $150 stud game but it won't be won by me. I'll stick with the $20-$40 hold'em game, which is even juicier but just gets a little boring sometimes. $3000 is the swing in that game for an entire night, not for one hand like the $75 - $150 stud game.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:07 AM

Default Re: My last 75-150 stud game

Well, congrats on a tough fold on the river. I'm not sure if I'd have the guts to make it.

Not to be a douche, but That really isn't that wild of a hand..

Did the tard fold trips? ( I mean, did he say he did in the discussion?)

I kinda think you have to look at it from the perspective, that you were in a great spot to win a mega pot.

Stud has left a lot of us around here, except MRBAA, with our heads spinning.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I ask the 2 seat what he thinks I had, and he says 2 pair. We get into a discussion for a few minutes about how clueless he is...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you feel it was necessary to have this discussion?
Old 07-24-2006, 09:18 AM

Absolutely no good reason to have this discussion.

I was just pissed off, and it was stupid.

As I said, I want this guy playing this stupid, it just irritated me at the time.

And if he had just folded, I would have made 3 jacks on the board on 5th street, and the hand would have ended there, with me not making much $.

Again, I shouldn't have spoken to him, I was just ticked off.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As I said, I want this guy playing this stupid, it just irritated me at the time.

And if he had just folded, I would have made 3 jacks on the board on 5th street, and the hand would have ended there, with me not making much $.

[/ QUOTE ]

The trick is always sit in the 1 seat that way no one can catch your cards.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The trick is always sit in the 1 seat that way no one can catch your cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't pick up on the fact that he got blocked.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:14 AM

Hey, my head gets spun with the best but I try (not always successfully) not to let it keep me from playing my best. I think it's a great decision not to play the 75 for this poster if he's going to get this upset over a fairly standard loss. You can see it's warping his perceptions when he is not happy about the pot getting jammed up on fourth. You've just got to like that much money going in that early when you've got boss trips. I wait until sixth to start throwing up in my mouth.

In Ace on the River, Barry Greenstein repeatedly stresses that one of the things that sets winning players apart is the ability to play well while losing. It's always frustrating to get drawn out on, but it is going to happen again and again.

None of us are ever as good as we think we are when we're running good, or as doomed as we think when we're running bad.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:56 AM

MRBAA, I've liked a lot of your recent posts.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:31 PM

Seriously though, sit in the 1, 2 or 3 seat so you don't get cock blocked by calling stations [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Help

First...

[ QUOTE ]
I have split Jacks with a 5, 2 to my right is the bring-in, and there is a Q and a K after me, so I just toss in the $25.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then...

[ QUOTE ]
I dramatically pause for a long while staring at the 8 seats cards, in part hoping to ensure that the idiot in the 2 seat sees the 3 hearts and stops ramming/jamming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winding up with...

[ QUOTE ]
I ask the 2 seat what he thinks I had, and he says 2 pair. We get into a discussion for a few minutes about how clueless he is

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he clueless because limping into a K and Q with a J in a 75/150 game says split jacks? Because the dramatics on 5th street say trips?

[ QUOTE ]
And even though bald John (2 seat) thinks I played the hand badly by not raising again on 5th, nothing would have changed. I couldn't have gotten him to fold even if I tried to wrestle the cards out of his hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wanted him to fold? I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, but does this have something to do with him catching your 5? Why would you want him to fold?