Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Two AQ hands

First hand, 42 hands with the villian in the SB, he has been recently playing garbage hands and drawing out on me the guy is a 72/22/1.08. Did I play this too aggressively and at what point should I call down?

Hero has Ad Qc

Pre flop
Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls.

flop
Js Qs Qh

sb checks, bb checks, hero bets, sb calls, bb folds.

turn
5d

sb checks, hero bets, sb raises, hero re-raises, sb caps, hero calls

river
7d

sb bets, hero raises, sb re-raises, hero-calls all in.

Second Hand. BB is 64/0/.67 after just 14 hands, SB is a 62/25/.7 after just 8 hands so really no thourough reads.

PokerRoom 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.3 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: 17.15 BB
Old 07-23-2006, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Two AQ hands

First may be a few too many bets but probably not. Also, rebuy.

Second one, cap the turn. Calling the turn to raise the river when BB is going all-in no matter what is the opposite of what you want to do since SB will be on a draw frequently.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:51 PM

Well my reasoning for slowing down, is with the aggression factor of the BB and his 3 bet the only two hands he has which I can beat are maybe QJ and KQ. Other than that I am pretty fairly well convinced he has a ragged 2 pair or better. So I guess the key is if I am beat by the SB extract the most from the most from the SB, in which case I suppose you are right, cap the turn. I played this hoping that once the BB was all in the SB would call my river raise.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:57 PM

I don't think there's anywhere I could slowdown on hand 1. There are no made flushes or straights so only a boat could beat you. JJ/77 would've been reraised, and LAGs should reraise 55 3-handed, maybe JQ. Play your top kicker and hope he doesn't have Q5, Q7, or QJ. The fact you're close to all-in during a cap war might tempt him to think you're stacking off.

I 3-bet the flop in the 2nd hand. If I go for the knockout turn raise, I just hate being 3-bet by a player who's stats don't indicate much aggression. [Edit: wasn't aware BB was close to all-in, thus I don't mind that you opted for the turn raise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]]. But yeah, cap the turn.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:08 PM

First hand - call the river lead.

Second hand - way to aggressive with TPTK. When a passive player check-raises the flop, TPKingK is probably at the bottom of his range. I think you are just passing him chips by re-opening the action with the turn raise. Who cares if you are charging SB the maximum is he's going to three-bet it a lot of the time and charge you the maximum to river two pair or trips. Slowdown, take your small pot with TPTK or lose the minimum against a flopped set or garbage two pair.