Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2006, 07:10 PM

Default How come homosexuality is taboo if...

...if about 10% of the global population is homosexual? (at least the male population)

One would think people would have opted for the common good and accept this as "normal" already. Presumably there had always been homosexuals (figures around that 10%, too), yet the bare idea of man-on-man sex shocks most people even today in our so-called advanced society (myself included)

And don't turn the "a lot of the homosexuals hide their tendencies" card, because we know that they only hide them because they're taboo in the first place.

Please don't automatically turn this into moral thread (a war between the opposers of homosexuality and those who think it's ok), that's not what i'm trying to get
Old 01-20-2006, 07:17 PM

Default Re: How come homosexuality is taboo if...

it just aint natural

chez
Old 01-20-2006, 07:24 PM

Really helpful reply, thanks a lot

(that was sarcasm btw)
Old 01-20-2006, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really helpful reply, thanks a lot

(that was sarcasm btw)

[/ QUOTE ]
and mine wasn't?

(that is sarcasm btw)

chez
Old 01-20-2006, 07:29 PM

It shouldn't be...It is because people are stupid...The End

--among intelligent beings, the fact that an entirely homosexual species would not procreate is not a problem.

oh yeah and I haven't hear "How come...?" in a while [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2006, 07:59 PM

its not taboo
Old 01-20-2006, 09:03 PM

bork: whatever you wanna call it; there certainly is an opposition to this tendency which appears to be pretty common among regular people (the tendency, I mean)

prodigy: yes but people are still stupid and a lot of other things which a large minority does (like, say... smoking) are not something most people who don't do it oppose as firmly... in other words... why this one?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:07 PM

religion.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:32 PM

There is something different in the way that straight and homosexual people think.
It is not people's thoughts reacting to society and religion, but society and religion reflecting the way that the majority thinks.
A straight man is disturbed by the thought of a homosexual relationship. This is based on his genetic coding. There have been studies where straight men were shown homosexual scenes, and though they showed no outward distress, the brain reacts to it in a negative manner.
For example, when I see two straight men kiss, though I support and defend their right to do so, my mental reaction is very similar to when I see people kiss their pets. It is kind of disgusting.
The idea of having a sexual relationship with another man is very similar to the idea of having a sexual relationship with a family member. Though some may find the idea exciting, I find it kind of disgusting.
As a devout atheist I doubt anyone would argue that it is religion that makes me find incest disgusting. It then logically follows that it is most likely something in my genetic makeup.
I am sure many people will think "but homosexuality is different than incest or beastiality" Which I want to make clear that I agree with completely, though many religious people may not. Again I support homosexual rights between consenting adults, where I cannot condone the others. Regardless, there is something in the way that our brain reacts to the idea when we relate it to ourselves that is very similar.
To you, what is the difference between french kissing your best buddy and french kissing your mom?
I think that though we know very little about how genetics affects our thought processes, it has a great deal to do with our opinions on "taboos" and it is these individual opinions that affect the views of society.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:41 PM

'...if about 10% of the global population is homosexual? '

That 10% is a fraud. 2-3% is much closer to the truth. Every tiny minority attempts to inflate their numbers. The 10% fraud was started by Kinsey and lives on, still a fraud.