Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2006, 02:18 AM

Default choose my course of action(new roommates make a mistake)

history: graduated college a year ago, lived by myself for a year paying $1000/month in living costs, decided I would rather live with other people/pay less/have longer commute. Some of my high school friends moved to town, we rented a house together and have been living together for a month. I pay about $600 in total monthly costs now.

problem: when I was living by myself I bought a dining room table worth about $500, not a whole ton, but I love the table and have kept it in prestine condition over the last year. I thought of keeping the table in storage since the house came with a rather pathetic, old, banged up table, but one of my roomates convinced me to keep it upstairs (on the grounds that our place was going to be decked out and really sweet). I got back from a movie tonight to find my roommates playing quarters on the table. They told me the had made sure the quarters would leave no dents on the table before they started playing, but a quick scan confirmed that in front of most players (especially the girlfriends of these guys, who apparently suck at quarters), there were 5-20 little white divots where they had bounced the quarter. There were about 5 people playing.

It was highly noticeable when you quickly scan the table, so I pointed it out and was obviously frustrated that they would convince me to keep the nice table upstairs, and then put a bunch of divots in it. They sort of apologized, made some excuses, and explained that they didn't really think I would care if they dented the table. My initial reaction was to try to let it go, so we drank for a while, played a drinking (card) game, and generally moved on.

Now that I'm back in my room I'm getting more and more annoyed though. What do you think... I would turn this into a poll but there's no clear options in my mind, do I:
a) swap the nice table the crappy table that came with the house?
b) bring this up to all of them sometime and ask wtf they were thinking, since they TOLD me I should setup my nice table and then intentionally messed it up less than a month after we've moved in?
c) empty sand from vagina and let it go?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:20 AM

Default Re: choose my course of action(new roommates make a mistake)

[ QUOTE ]

c) empty sand from vagina and let it go?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only option. You sound like a huge douche bag. Its a [censored] table.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:25 AM

put some divots in something important to them and see how they like it. two can play this game
Old 07-22-2006, 02:28 AM

over reacting much?, its a table its meant to be played on scratched etc.

The problem is if you mention this to him he will think your like gay or something and a lil bitch for whinnig over a dam 500$ table... but if you dont things like this can go on and then next thing you know he is drinking your beer and smoking your stash [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2006, 02:37 AM

A lot depends on the general tone of the house. If it was clear that it was going to be a party pad then you have to blame yourself for bringing your sweet table, even if you were talked into it.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:41 AM

I had roommates like this. Or maybe I was like this. What I would have done was drank some more tonight, keep drinking. Get all wasted and totaly angry. The table is the tip of the iceberg. You are just tired of these people, of their friends, of their girlfriends, of their friends girlfriends, of their music, of what they want to watch on tv, of them bugging you about the propaine bill. After you are livid storm back out into the living room and start screaming at them YOU [censored] DENTED MY [censored] TABLE WHAT DO YOU THINK, YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST [censored] MY [censored] UP, YOU HAVE NO RESPECT FOR MY POSESSIONS, [censored] YOU I SHOULD [censored] YOUR STUFF UP, HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT YOU SELF-CENTERED PRICK etc., get into a fight.

Next day, get up about 2pm. Throw up. Eat some toast. Exchange your table with the crappy one that came with the house. Multi-table sitngo's.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:47 AM

$500? That's basically nothing. Also, it's just a table and you're living with dudes and you're just out of college. If you cared that much about your stuff you'd just live by yourself. With roommies, you can never fully protect your crap.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:52 AM

If it's wood maybe accept the top is going to get beat up some while you're living with these guys, and just try to keep it from real structural damage.

When you move on your own you can bring it to a wood re-finisher and they can sand and recoat the top in a way that'll make it look like new.

Gotta let this go. It seems like a big deal to you, but your roomates aren't gonna understand why you're so mad. You brought it up, they appologized. Leave it at that. Trust them to not be [censored] in the future.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:52 AM

Being proud of a 500$ dining table is crazy. That's how much they typically cost. You don't seem like you can handle roommates.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:55 AM

You have to let it go man.
No matter how much you liked the table, it's just not worth making a big deal out of it.
You might as well initiate the next game of quarters to show you don't care.

When you get your own place again, get yourself another nice table.