Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 10:11 AM

Default Strategy for ME day 1

How do you plan to play the first day? Will you be ultra tight,playing only super best hands,folding a lot and trying to let the others make mistakes? or will you try to be active early,taking advantage of deep stacks,and especially of the fear of the majority of players who do not want to "risk their tournament life" and want to "live the experience".which strategy do you think it's optimal?(assuming you don't end up at a table where some pro with much more experience starts running over everybody).Besides what you think what the OPTIMAL strategy is,what's YOUR strategy?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Strategy for ME day 1

I think the best strategy is to play opposite the way your table is playing. If you have a bunch of no-names that are folding to every raise, be aggessive. If you have Grinder wannabes at your table, sit back and wait for strong hands.

Be ready to change your game based on how the table flows.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:26 AM

Flop good.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 AM

In the word's of an Olympic luge competitor when asked about strategy:

[ QUOTE ]
Lie flat and try not to die

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-21-2006, 11:05 AM

My strategy is to sit at work and check every few minutes online and via text messages on my phone for updates from all my buds [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If I was in the ME, my strategy would echo that said earlier, which is to adapt based on your table reads. There is going to be a lot of really bad play early on, and much like an online tourny, YOU want those bad players' chips before some pro gets em...

Good luck to everyone, play well and remember us at home waiting on your reports!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:31 AM

Depends how the table is. I like limping crap from late position to try and bust someone who limped a monster. Survive.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:40 AM

Here's what Kenna James told us last year:

[ QUOTE ]
Kenna: Alright, well, the strategy is determined a lot on your table selection. If I don't know anybody, I'll ambush them early and try to create some footholds that separate me from the rest of the table. Even a difference of a couple thousand in chip stacks is huge. Let's say I'm at 12K chips and my opponent is at 8K...not a massive difference on the surface, but if I make a 4K bet, that's half their stack. Whereas if I lose the 4K, I'm back in line with them. That little advantage at the beginning is huge.

There is a lot of opportunity for this that first hour. I've seen a lot of puddles on the floor during those early, stressful rounds. After they get past that, they loosen up and start slinging chips like cookies. So my plan is to go in and chip up, so that when they open up, I'm in good position to sit back and coast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kenna Interview
Old 07-21-2006, 12:07 PM

make sure to hang onto your tournament life like your tournament depends on it, because it does and that's uber scary.

80/20? Screw that, it's MY TOURNAMENT LIFE we're talking about here. I'm just gonna make it to day 2 because you can't fold into the money without making it to day 2. One step at a time, you know?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
80/20? Screw that, it's MY TOURNAMENT LIFE we're talking about here. I'm just gonna make it to day 2 because you can't fold into the money without making it to day 2. One step at a time, you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on making a raise with QQ, but folding to most reraises. Especially if the villain shows something like 7-7. I don't mind this at all. After all, I could have gone out if he hit a seven.