Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 06:20 AM

Default stars $22/180, stack of 3M utg, what\'s my pushing range?

22 people left, 18 pays, table has been playing fairly normal for this level. I have been waiting for the right situation to push for 2 orbits. If I let the blinds run over me I'll lose a lot of my FE. So, what's the right pushing range in this situation? Ante is t50 so the pot starts at t1250

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (7 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t3624)
MP1 (t3457)
MP2 (t5500)
CO (t7419)
Button (t23724)
SB (t19275)
BB (t19146)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with XX:.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:41 AM

Default Re: stars $22/180, stack of 3M utg, what\'s my pushing range?

First, you have 3k, not 3M [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Your title is very deceiving.

Second, there are so many variables that I couldn't personally offer you a suggestion. Variables include position, action in front of you, players behind you, and information on the players in the blinds.

What I will say is that if it was folded to me on the button, with the two blinds short stacked as well I would probably push with any two. I'm certainly NOT pushing in early position with all 3 big stacks waiting behind me without a very big hand. I may push in CO, since the 7419 stack really wants to remain in comfortable chip position.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:54 AM

I think he was saying that his M=3, which is accurate.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First, you have 3k, not 3M [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Your title is very deceiving.

Second, there are so many variables that I couldn't personally offer you a suggestion. Variables include position, action in front of you, players behind you, and information on the players in the blinds.

What I will say is that if it was folded to me on the button, with the two blinds short stacked as well I would probably push with any two. I'm certainly NOT pushing in early position with all 3 big stacks waiting behind me without a very big hand. I may push in CO, since the 7419 stack really wants to remain in comfortable chip position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, obv a lot of misunderstanding here. First of all, with M I mean what Harrington calls the total amount of the pot (blinds +antes) before the betting begins. pot is now t1250. 1250 x 3 =3750. Hence I've got about 3M. Second, I gave a hand history with a specific situation, that is I'm sitting under the gun and therefore no one has yet entered the pot. My question was what the pushing range is in this particular situation.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:56 AM

I'm probably pushing any two at this point. Starting next hand you'll have pretty much no fold equity, and even if you double up, your stack will still be tiny, while doubling up now would give you some chips to work with.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:20 AM

I'm pushing any two here. It really sucks your pushing into the three big stacks button/blinds, but what can you do. If you fold through your blinds you'll be giving the BB 2:1 to call whenever you do happen to push. This is the last chance you'll have at FE, and if you do manage to pickup the pot, you have more chips for open pushing two cards into the smaller stacks if you get to open the pot next orbit.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, what's the right pushing range in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

32o+
Old 07-21-2006, 08:30 AM

ok, good stuff. I thought pushing any two would be correct, just wanted a second opinion.

BTW, I pushed Q5o and MP1 called with KK, no suckout.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, good stuff. I thought pushing any two would be correct, just wanted a second opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would probably fold, but the push may be OK due to tight bubble play. The play certainly doesn't work if people know you are pushing almost anything. With 6, players, there is about a 25% chance someone has AQ+, 99+.

In general, I would want a playable hand that you would raise or limp with from early to mid position with deep money, or steal or resteal with from late position, pp, broadways cards, suited connectors, Axs.

On the bubble, you may be able to make a play in the blinds or push with a smaller stack from late position with FE. Play position. Don't push into the table. I fold here.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

standard