Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 02:39 AM

Default I played it wrong so I could ask about it (A7s)

MP3 is a total unknown (just sat down), but his min raise isn't scaring me off when two players that I want to get in against are already playing.

UTG+2 is playing some crazy short stack strategy that involves flopping middle pair a lot. Stats like 60/19 over a short 25 hands, but she's been playing very poorly. She will put her short stack in with as little as middle pair sometimes, and bets too much or too little sometimes. You probably know more about her archetypically than I do from actually playing with her.

MP1 is a LAG, and I don't think he's a good playing. I can't confirm that though, because I haven't seen him make any big mistakes in big pots. He splashes around a lot, and he's 47/14/1.1 over 65 hands. I haven't taken any notes during this time.

My main question is about the flop, so make that the focus of your commentary please. I am open to critique of any facet of my play though, and would really love it if you could teach me anything that improves my play.

Party Poker
Unlimited Betting Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $50
UTG+1: $31
UTG+2: $22.95
MP1: $65.86
MP2: $59.15
MP3: $24.50
Hero: $62.72
Button: $48.75
SB: $44.88
BB: $12.73

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 raises to $1</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($6.25, 6 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $3</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($15.25, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 bets $3</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($24.25, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 bets $4</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

Results:
Final pot: $32.25
Old 07-21-2006, 02:48 AM

Default Re: I played it wrong so I could ask about it (A7s)

Umm, flop looks fine to me. I'd actually be tempted to raise the turn after that weak bet and call, but not against your description of UTG+2.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:57 AM

I play it the same. They let you draw cheaply -- no need to go crazy against a short stack who probably won't hesitate to push with a pair.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:00 AM

You did fine.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:02 AM

Your play looks fine to me. Preflop I would also call with a hand that can hit a big flop in a pot that looks likely to become massively multiway. Your relative position is gonna suck but there are gonna be at least 2 weak players in the pot, and you will have absolute position on both. On the flop raising makes no sense to me as the preflop raiser has shown interest and you hardly want to get HU with him. You'd rather encourage calls behind you to improve your odds, no? On the other end of the spectrum folding seems way too weak. You're getting 3:1 direct odds and everyone has a fair amount of money, so that the threat of a 3-bet shouldn't be enough to scare you away I wouldn't think. ON the turn you're getting better direct odds than you need so I don't think there's any way you can fold. There's some chance I guess that the PFR has made Tens or Nines full but surely that's just a tiny part of his range. I don't like raising either as it sounds like UTG+2 may well call you with 97. Don't see how you can do anything but fold on the river, either.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your play looks fine to me. Preflop I would also call with a hand that can hit a big flop in a pot that looks likely to become massively multiway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked it all, except preflop. Is this really an easy call?

The only flop we will like is a flush draw, which is about 8:1, I believe. We will hit our flush by the river once every 3 times we flop a draw. So, we will hit the nut flush approximately once every 27 times - and it costs us £1 to call the pfr.

Even allowing for the times that the flop comes A7x or 77X; or you decide to go with your Ace on an AXX flop, I think I prefer a preflop fold.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:52 AM

FWIW, I play it the same.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:22 AM

You can go passive or aggressive with a big draw. Make your decision on the flop and run with it.

I think your passive line makes sense in this hand due to the number of people seeing the flop and the fact they consistently gave you odds to call.

I would tend to go aggressive with this with 1 or 2 villians and in position. The aggressive line here would have been to kick it up to $12 - $15 on the flop, call a flop push, or push the turn.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:40 AM

i often make similar preflop calls with Axs mack - i'm not saying its the right move, but if the preflop raise is small and there are multiple callers, you can easily hit some massive pots or make an easy fold if you dont hit the draw on the flop

depending on how you play, i guess it could be an easy call i fyou expect to gain money by winning huge pots minus what you lose for calling 20 odd preflop bets.

maybe i'm too LAG
or just LCRAP
Old 07-21-2006, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess it could be an easy call i fyou expect to gain money by winning huge pots minus what you lose for calling 20 odd preflop bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

20 $1 bets is a hell of a lot to make up on average when you hit the nut flush by the river. Just not sure whether you win enough pots with non-flush hands to make them worth playing at all?

Then again, I suppose they must be, as many good players appear to advocate playing AXs in multiway, min-raised pots.