Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 11:09 PM

Default QQ facing two all-ins post flop early in $54 MTT

In an attempt to avoid my MA thesis I've decided to emerge from lurker status and post a situation that came up a few nights ago. If this situation is not at all interesting let me know.

5th hand of Pokerroom's Long Kiss Goodnight (Hence the bad hand conversion, I hope it's not too dense to analyze) -
starting stack of t1500.

No reads on anybody yet, except that Villian 2 went all in UTG + 1 after a min raise from UTG on the second hand (no call) - looks like he wants to gamble.

Blinds t10/t20

HERO (UTG) (T1480)
UTG + 1 (T1670)
Villian 1 (T1490)
MP2 (T1440)
MP3 (T2900)
CO (T1690)
Villian 2 (T1500)
SB (T1530)
BB (T1290)
PRE-FLOP

HERO (UTG) bets t65, UTG + 1 folds, Villian 1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Villian 2 calls, SB calls,
BB calls

Pot t455

FLOP [board cards J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

SB checks
BB checks
Hero bets $375 (Pot t830)
Villian 1 bets $1,425 and is all-in
2 folds
Villian 2 bets $1,435 and is all-in
2 more folds

Pot t3690

This situation seems like a good opportunity to triple up early, especially after I decided to bet into the pot (was that a terrible idea - one of my biggest weaknesses is continuation betting about 90% of the time). If this is anything less than a $54 mtt I just assume people are straight up gambling, but $54 on pokerroom seems to be the spot where people play a little smarter and tighter the first hour.

My reads (or should i say guesses): one guy is on a flush draw and just wants to gamble, and another guy either has AJ (with the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) or a set. Is this a no-brainer getting 3:1 on the call?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:39 PM

Default Re: QQ facing two all-ins post flop early in $54 MTT

First of all let me say I think you should probably raise a little more in on-line tournaments than live tournaments. Usually 3xBB is good in live tournaments but 4 or even 5 times BB is what I consider normal and good.
Second, I think villain 1 has a jack and thats it. I think he wants to push everyone out of the hand. However w/ Villain 2, I think has aces or kings is a good possiblity. First an UTG raise usually means stregth on your part so if he has AK or two big spades chances are he is reraising you to find out exactly what you have. Also, he can't have 10s or lower in a pocket pair except 2s or 4s or he wouldn't have called. I think he has aces and I think you have to fold. I think AJ is a possiblity but I think that he has aces or kings. However I am too much a glutton for punishment and I cannot fold an overpair here and I would call although expecting to lose. I know I'll probably be reemed for that but it's the truth.