Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 04:52 PM

Default opening up your game preflop

I noticed what seperates a lot of very good players from just the decent/good abc types is how much pressure they put on you preflop.

When I first started I was probably like most, 3-betting EP raises with AQ+/TT+ and nearly the same range vs a raise + call and opening up a little more the closer the initial raiser got to the button. I'm not making it very difficult on my opponents though and I'm definintely losing some value by not adding to my range, just even a little bit. Shania is feeling left out.

Guess my question is, just how much is too much? Intuitively I'm thinking 25% of your 3-bet/squeeze range should be with marginal holdings, stuff like 67s, J9s, KTs, random pairs, or any two when the situation calls for it. Obviously it's a little balancing act because you don't want to squeeze with a decent/good holding and lose value on it when you could've just called. I guess I should just drop down in limits and figure it out myself by trial and error. Just hoping someone could shed some light on the subject so I don't overdo it.

I think there are some situations that warrant a squeeze much more often than others but I'd just like to talk in general % and ranges.

I understand none of this is really needed at 400NL and below to be a big winner but I'd like to really start working on my game and make multitabling a little more interesting.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:26 PM

Default Re: opening up your game preflop

reraising with stuff like KTs to an ep raiser is going to cost you a LOT of money. TT an stuff also. holla
Old 07-20-2006, 05:48 PM

Full ring or 6max?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:10 PM

opening up by reraising is best done in three situations:

1. when deep against bad players who will not reraise you, who fold pf or c/f flop too much.
2. when in obvious steal situations (blind defense, it's better to reraise than to call with a lot of hands), especially good as button vs CO
3. against 35/25 players who are used to running the table over and can't adjust to actually being played back at.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:17 PM

I hesitated posting this hijack, but I really want to ask this. It might be useful to others too.

[ QUOTE ]
3. against 35/25 players who are used to running the table over and can't adjust to actually being played back at.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of these 35/25s, and I do have trouble when I get played back at. I'm not always sure what kinds of adjustments to make, other than becoming at 25/12.

Advice/Thoughts?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hesitated posting this hijack, but I really want to ask this. It might be useful to others too.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of these 35/25s, and I do have trouble when I get played back at. I'm not always sure what kinds of adjustments to make, other than becoming at 25/12.

Advice/Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

3-bet and/or crai on flop.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think alot of it has to do with the player. some players tighten up and wait for a hand when your running them over, and some loosen up and push back. So you need to adjust and start paying off his raises with some weaker hands that you normally wouldnt call a reraise with.

On a hand from 100nl at party the other day, i was openin on the button with almost any 2, and this guy told me he was getting sick of it. the next round i opened on the button with air and he reraised me i folded. next time around i opened with AJ, he pushes from the BB i call. His range widened a ton from me raising so many times that AJ is ahead of his total reraising range(he had A2 btw).
Old 07-20-2006, 06:45 PM

sorry, this is for 6 max.

i think i have a pretty good grasp on what type of %'s i want vs an open raise in various positions, but in a squeeze situation it seems like a good TAG's range can very widely from squeezing with a ton of hands to AK/QQ+.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:49 PM

i think this is solid advice

but what about in a squeeze situation? how often do you think you're reraising with a hand that in a vacuum most likely isn't +EV, or say is lower in expectation than just calling?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:52 PM

i reraise pairs, soooted aces, sc etc. so often.