Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Professional Darkhorses for the Main Event

Let's be mature and not name ourselves here (well I am not playing in it, but you get the point). This could be fun and cool to look back on if one of our darkhorses makes a run to the final 200. Lets keep this to 2-3.

I will lead off: Ram Vaswani. Has not had a succesful run in a while. He made a No limit final table two years ago. He can definitely move chips and has a strong reading ability. His weakness seems to be that he gets too aggressive and pushes too aggressively preflop with marginal hands (from what I have read on cardplayer blogs...multiple of them). I still like his hold'em experience and temperament.

My second darkhorse is Joe Awada. Its been a pretty quiet World Series for him but I have always been impressed with his aggressiveness and reading ability as well. Awada is not afraid to take chances and with 8,000+ people he understands where he has to push edges.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Professional Darkhorses for the Main Event

i just dont even get the point of speculating when there is this many people

i would say it's more likely than not that the final table is composed of 9 people we've never heard of before.

but yeah, those people are probably more likely to go deep than the average joe (read: not joe hachem).
Old 07-20-2006, 02:40 PM

I know its really hard to predict. I actually probably am posting this because I am so proud of selecting Matusow 3rd in my WSOP pool last year and taking it down. I also nabbed Lederer and Juanda as 3 of my first 8 picks.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know its really hard to predict. I actually probably am posting this because I am so proud of selecting Matusow 3rd in my WSOP pool last year and taking it down. I also nabbed Lederer and Juanda as 3 of my first 8 picks.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh i could see it being kinda fun for a fantasy type thing, where you get points for cashes, etc.

in which event those are nice selections!
Old 07-20-2006, 02:50 PM

These fantasy things are really fun actually. My friend grabbed Ivey #1 overall and really felt confident in him winning it and the overall bet of the pool with 27 people left. Unfortunately for him Phil Ivey decided to play like a $6 partypoker sit n go player with 3 tables left.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These fantasy things are really fun actually. My friend grabbed Ivey #1 overall and really felt confident in him winning it and the overall bet of the pool with 27 people left. Unfortunately for him Phil Ivey decided to play like a $6 partypoker sit n go player with 3 tables left.

[/ QUOTE ]

JJ = nuts
Old 07-20-2006, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i just dont even get the point of speculating when there is this many people

i would say it's more likely than not that the final table is composed of 9 people we've never heard of before.

but yeah, those people are probably more likely to go deep than the average joe (read: not joe hachem).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the final table will contain at least 1 person that people who follow poker have heard of, and up to 3 pro's when you include players who have only had success on the innanet thus far.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:02 PM

If he is playing, I’ll take Darrell Dicken
Old 07-20-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I’ll take Darrell Dicken

[/ QUOTE ]

my vote has to go with Darrell Dicken too
Old 07-20-2006, 03:05 PM

some other names I think could go deep and arent recognized as the elite of poker by many: Mark Gregorich, Chris Gregorian, Jim Meehan,Lee Watkinson, and David Plastik.