Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 04:14 AM

Default Induce a bluff?

Party $30/60 online. Villain in this hand is reasonable but a bit passive and doesn't open raise as often as I. My stats on her are 17/9/1.6.

She opens on the button and I defend in the BB w/ J7o. The flop is J75 rainbow and I checkraise she calls.

Turn is a 6 and puts a heart flush out there. Board now reads J756 I bet she calls.

River is an offsuit 8 for a J7568 board. I bet and she folds.

Thoughts on all streets are welcome. Since I got home from the $100/200 at Bellagio I've been running awful online and am not sure I'm adjusting properly to the differences between the games.

Online is a bet/fold on this river standard? Bet/call against a good thinking player? Should I check/call to induce a bluff from a heart draw/AK/AQ and since I might not have the best hand.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Induce a bluff?

i think you're river line is good. you said the villain is a bit passive, so therefore this probably isn't the person to go to a check/call mode.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:56 PM

The problem is you seem to catch a piece of the flop that is almost drawless. Not her.

If anything, you represent the possible str8. Given this board, it's very likely she'd check it behind. She likely knows if she bets in this spot, given your action, you'd call. What draw did you miss that you'd fold?

1.6 AF She doesn't seem to be aggressive enough to really be inducing bluffs from. At least not on this board.

b
Old 07-20-2006, 04:41 PM

Preflop: Since this player has tight raising standards, I would want to tighten up my blind defense standards. I think playing J7 here is a pretty obvious mistake.

Flop: Looks good.

Turn: Again looks good.

River: I think this is fine against a passive player, although I would rather check/call against an overaggressive player who might bluff.

Just my opinion...
Old 07-20-2006, 08:46 PM

All streets are played fine. Villain doesn't appear too aggressive. Do you think a player w/those stats is going to bluff bet the river vs you? Most likely not.

You can also call flop, call turn, and bet river. Or go ol'school w/the call flop, and check/raise turn.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:10 PM

I think the check/call, check/call, donk river when I have top 2 is misapplying that concept. Isn't that line supposed to be in situations where you have a hand that is not very strong, but strong enough to see to showdown, and not susceptible to being drawn out against? In a situation where I have a pretty strong hand I want that pot to grow which only happens when I raise and bet when my opponent has something (ie. AJ or an overpair) or decides to get a bit frisky.

For example say I open with AT from MP and get 3 bet by an aggressive opponent and the flop comes A52 rainbow. Then I like the check/call, check/call, bet line because it keeps the pot small and if he's aggressive he'll bet both the flop and turn with pairs thereby sticking him in the pot and not allowing him to get away.

Or say I have Ax and defend against a button steal while in the big blind on an A high flop.

In addition to the lines you listed I think check/call, bet 3 bet would be ok as well.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the check/call, check/call, donk river when I have top 2 is misapplying that concept. Isn't that line supposed to be in situations where you have a hand that is not very strong, but strong enough to see to showdown, and not susceptible to being drawn out against? In a situation where I have a pretty strong hand I want that pot to grow which only happens when I raise and bet when my opponent has something (ie. AJ or an overpair) or decides to get a bit frisky.

For example say I open with AT from MP and get 3 bet by an aggressive opponent and the flop comes A52 rainbow. Then I like the check/call, check/call, bet line because it keeps the pot small and if he's aggressive he'll bet both the flop and turn with pairs thereby sticking him in the pot and not allowing him to get away.

Or say I have Ax and defend against a button steal while in the big blind on an A high flop.

In addition to the lines you listed I think check/call, bet 3 bet would be ok as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. However, do you think the bet/call, bet/3bet will work with a thinking player w/AF of 1.6? Iono. I'm a stat whore.