Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 11:10 PM

Default NL Day 2

I'm having a lot more fun playing NL so far... much more to think about and much easier to stay focused. The problem is, well, I'm not good. As you shall see, I have no shame.

Anyway, here are two questionable hands I have from today, along with my thoughts. Please also critique how I should be thinking through the hands...

Hand 1

Opponent is still relatively unknown at this point but seems on the loose side.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $84
CO: $141.96
Button: $107.75
SB: $201.41
BB: $110.85

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I had been raising quite a bit and winning many pots with cbets on the flop. I figured A8s should be good enough to raise here, but honestly I have no idea.

<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($8.5, 3 players)

Cool, a pretty decent flop for my hand. I'll make a standard cbet.

SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $6</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

Could be an 8, maybe a straight draw, 2 pair, a set... what else goes here?

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($20.5, 2 players)

Okay, just pulled ahead of 2pair...

SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $13</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $41</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ...</font>

Hand 2: Haha I suck.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $86.70
UTG+1: $124.45
CO: $135
Button: $100
SB: $129.90
Hero: $81.40

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $4</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

This guy had been pretty aggressive preflop. I figure I'm ahead of his range here, but I think I am overestimating the value of hands like AQo. Bad habit from limit. Should I be reraising this? Folding?

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($8.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $17</font>, Button calls.

On this board I figure I should be ahead often enough that a c/r will be profitable. Bad idea?

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($42.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $25</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $75</font>...

I guess I should know I am behind now. I couldn't fold though.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:18 PM

Default Re: NL Day 2

hand 1 i fold preflop. i've been considering openlimping UTG stuff like A8s but only after i've established myself at a passive table. if you raise, make it $4 preflop. $2.5 is a minraise imo.
as played i'd 3bet push turn

hand2 is a tough spot unless you think its AK you are ahead. with AQ, if you think you are ahead of a lag on the button reraise preflop. i'd probably call here since you're getting 3-1 it isnt AK.

oh and RELOAD PREFLOP
Old 07-19-2006, 11:25 PM

Did I miss something in hand 1?
What happened with the set of 8's?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:34 PM

H1: this is a bit nasty but you have to push and hope he has an 8 with a worse kicker. You definitely have some outs against anything.

H2: As a rule make a potsize reraise preflop. It doesn't matter much whether you're ahead here btw, as if the hand goes to showdown you won't be, but a cr is fine. This is really awkward. He could have Ax[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 54, 33, or be bluffing the ace with 2 random spades because he puts you on a pp. Checking the turn isn't a bad idea fwiw. Tough to lay this down.

Keep a full stack, don't let it drop to $80.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

H2: As a rule make a potsize reraise preflop. It doesn't matter much whether you're ahead here btw, as if the hand goes to showdown you won't be, but a cr is fine. This is really awkward. He could have Ax[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 54, 33, or be bluffing the ace with 2 random spades because he puts you on a pp. Checking the turn isn't a bad idea fwiw. Tough to lay this down.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying that calling preflop and c/r the flop is an ok alternative to reraising but that generally I should be reraising? As for checking the turn, I did give that some thought. I thought I might be committed to showdown though with my stack size and that I might as well bet hoping to get value from some hands that might check behind. Perhaps I could have gotten more value from bluffs though?

[ QUOTE ]

Keep a full stack, don't let it drop to $80.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was pretty dumb.

Glad to see I didn't mess these up as much as I thought.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:16 AM

I push hand 1 all day. He has worse trips very often and for the amount you have left, he is not folding it.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:16 AM

For Hand #1, it seems to me that villain is slowplaying either a set or an overpair, but I think you have the better hand most of the times here. YOu gotta call. For the second hand,I don't like to reraise with hands like AQo out of position. I would maybe float him on the flop and try to take the pot on the turn, but most of the time, i would just give up the hand and look for a better situation.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So are you saying that calling preflop and c/r the flop is an ok alternative to reraising but that generally I should be reraising?

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean that I would mix in some calls with AQ - maybe 20%. And if you happened to be on that flop with any two cards then a cr is OK so long as you don't overdo it by checkraising constantly.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:19 AM

hand 1 is auto push considering you dont have a full buy in. I think you beat a ton of hands here and if not you have outs to win.
hand 2 is spewing when you raise the flop. Because it is SCREAMING bluff. Once you hit the ace it gives him a chance to boost it. You're committed to a big pot once you hit the ace. I would say just call the the flop, check/call turn, check/call river.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would maybe float him on the flop and try to take the pot on the turn, but most of the time, i would just give up the hand and look for a better situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't floating if you are OOP. You are describing a Stop and Go, which I really do not like in this situation because no worse hands are coming along.

Jake, Hand 1 looks fine as long as you got the money in the middle.

Hand 2, playing AQ OOP to a raise is very difficult. Reads are very important. I do not like to play large pots in this situation and usaully call pre-flop, but will occasionally take Jam's line as well. It's all about feel. Against a solid TAG I'd have no problem folding AQ.