Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2006, 12:58 PM

Default Playing vs bad poker players vs idiots...

I recently had a rather large debate with a very good friend of mine, who has been far more successful in poker than I have. We were discussing whether or not it is -EV to play bad poker players. Right away, we both agreed that it was not. But then I brought up how at certain sites, the players are so bad, I never really know where I stand in the hand. This is because their hand ranges are so large that I easily could be behind post flop, even with AA on an 835 board. We came to the conclusion that there is a large difference between bad "Poker players", and idiots who just have no idea what they are doing. I completely agree I want to be playing someone who thinks KJ offsoooot is an amazing starting hand. I dont agree that I want to be playing people who limp with anything, and call raises with anything, and call down with anything. I think I have a decent understanding of the game(although I am no where near where I would like to be, and probably will never be near where I dream of being). It just seems there is a line between bad poker players, and complete morons who have no value in money. This is not a bad beat post by any means, just curious if you guys would agree. If not, take this post with a grain of salt. I already realize I am an idiot. Thanks and gl at the tables
Old 01-20-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Playing vs bad poker players vs idiots...

This doesn't really belong in STT. Part of being a good poker player is adjusting to your opponents.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:06 PM

You win at poker when your opponents make mistakes. Bad players make mistakes.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:07 PM

I agree. I want to be playing someone who is worse than me, of course when they hit a two outer on me I think I would be better off playing people who respect my raises. In the end bad players pay us off, it just takes a little more time after every bad beat.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:12 PM

While it doesn't feel like it when your aces lose to 85 on the 853 board, this is actually very profitable for you. The pots you pick up vs. these guys will definitely compensate for the times this happens.

-SonnyJay
Old 01-20-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont agree that I want to be playing people who limp with anything, and call raises with anything, and call down with anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have wet dreams about those players.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You win in the long run, Which can be looong,at poker when your opponents make mistakes. Bad players make mistakes

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I understand this, as a matter of fact a topic of discussion with another 2+2er on this very subject yesterday.

It is +ev to play against horrible players, dont pay attention to the immediate result. Play correctly the dollars will come.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You win in the long run, Which can be looong,at poker when your opponents make mistakes. Bad players make mistakes

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I understand this, as a matter of fact a topic of discussion with another 2+2er on this very subject yesterday.

It is +ev to play against horrible players, dont pay attention to the immediate result. Play correctly the dollars will come.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to add that, but I felt it was implied. Maybe not.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:31 PM

I think that there is some bad information in the replies to this... It's not so simple as "bad players make more mistakes... You make money when they make mistakes (long term)"

You need to know who you are playing. You need to play different versus a bad player, otherwise you are making a major mistake.

The worst thing you can do is try to outplay a bad player.

For me, I make more money from good players. I have more trouble with bad players. But it's my own fault!

A very good player has a lot of tools/tricks against other good players. Against a bad player, a lot of your edge is negated. It's still +EV, but straight-forward poker is your only weapon.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:34 PM

I think playing idiots is great. Sure, you might take more bad beats and have higher variance, but your ROI will be higher in the long run.