Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 02:54 AM

Default AK on the button: bubble of $3 stars $20k guaranteed rebuy

200/1900 remain, 180 pay

Hero has 78k

villian has 110k

blinds 1k/2k with an ante

most hands have been 3-4xBB preflop raise, everybody folds.

have seen villian previously open-push earlier in the tournament for 50BB in early position with 99 and AQ (after the rebuy period), and seems to have no problem taking any coin flip he can get against anybody at anytime regadless of position or chipstack.

villian has recently been moved to the table, and i am seated immediately to his left.

folded around to villian in the cutoff who makes it 10k to go, hero calls on the button with

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] , blinds fold.

there is about 24k in the pot, flop comes

2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

villian pushes for 100k, hero folds.

any feedback is appreciated.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:57 AM

Default Re: AK on the button: bubble of $3 stars $20k guaranteed rebuy

push preflop ~100% of the time, no, exactly 100% of the time
Old 07-19-2006, 09:59 AM

would you rank my options as:

push > fold > call

ugh....i feel so [censored] weak tight not wanting to coinflip this close to the bubble with an above average stack
Old 07-19-2006, 11:35 AM

I would push here. Its clearly(without seeing many hands) an attempt to steal the blinds. With a 5x BB bet he wants to end the hand immediately, if he had a monster IMO he would raise a small amount hoping that you would defend with a raise so that he could come over top of you putting you in a bad position.

I think you are best in this position 80% of the time... far from a coin flip. So you need to push or atleast re-raise to take control of the hand.

Unfortunately, you called and then made your second mistake by checking the flop giving total control to the pf raiser. This is a good flop to make a decent size probe bet. This allows you to take back control and possibly take the pot right here. If the pf raiser had just QJ... he will have a hard time going all-in against you, considering you called a 5xBB and then bet into him. Also considering that people will try to defind their blinds with any two cards... its possible you did hit trips.

If he does push over you, you have to give it up obvsiously but if he calls I think its clear you are ahead.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:40 AM

defend that button and instashove. as played, easy fold i think. pretty sure you folded best hand though.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:45 AM

push that shiznit...preflop esp to take down 15k w/o a flip
Old 07-19-2006, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would you rank my options as:

push > fold > call

ugh....i feel so [censored] weak tight not wanting to coinflip this close to the bubble with an above average stack

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny. Nath's post "push preflop ~100% of the time, no, exactly 100% of the time" seemed to make it quite clear that there are no options.

I've spent about an hour trying to make a case for another option and , eureka, you can fold into the money.

Seriously, given what you've said about villain, he's going to call and you are ahead of his range so you have to push. Forget about cashing. To win anything more in the $3r than you can win in a fraction of the time playing STTs, you have to get your chips in in situations like this.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, you called and then made your second mistake by checking the flop giving total control to the pf raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt check the flop, he was first to act and pushed.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:43 PM

Push preflop here like everyone else said.

However, I don't think that villain pushes anything better than TT here given that you flat called his pf bet and would probably push any flop if checked to you. Do JJ QQ KK AA lead this flop with a push from the villain? If he has a range of TT-66,ATs+,KJs+,QJs,AJo+,KQo which could even be pretty tight considering his line could mean almost anything, you are pretty far ahead and I'm pretty sure I call here.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:10 PM

This hand illustrates how some people always think it's a coin flip. You said he opened for 50 BB with AQ, so why can't he have AT-AK, KQ-KJ, QJ, etc? Hell, it folded to him in the CO, his range is WIDE. Those aren't coinflips. I mean, it's not like he showed you 99 and you decided to pass on the opportunity. I'm jamming this every time. You figure to be WAY ahead of his range.

As played, I probably call the push, b/c you are still way ahead of his range, and if he had KK-AA he probably bets smaller or checks. I mean, of his range, is he more likely to overbet jam with KJ or AA?

It just reminds me of calling an allin getting good odds with 44 and saying "hope it's a coin flip" before we show, and villain says "yeah it is" and shows 88. You don't know how your hand relates to their SPECIFIC hand until they're on their backs. You just know how it relates to their RANGE, and AK is MURDERING CO's range here. You may be crushed, you may be flipping, you may be 65-35, you may be dominating, but the 3rd and 4th choices are FAR more frequent.