Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Southwest Airlines Trick

I gotta say, I love Southwest Airlines now that I've discovered this trick.

If you read the fine print on Southwest tickets, you'll discover virtually all of them are not refundable, but there is no penalty to change them, unlike most other airlines. However, if you change them, you have to rebook the entire ticket at whatever prices are currently available. This also means you can rebook at a lower price when they have a fare sale. They'll just give you credit, usable by anyone, for the difference.

To take maximum advantage, I'll book all future flights as one way, so that if one segment is available at a lower price, but the other isn't, you can still cut your price. But if you've got a round trip, just make sure you'll actually save money by checking the fares as if you were making a new reservation.

Southwest has a big sale on this weekend. If you've got tickets on Southwest already, see what price they are now. Go to the Travel Center with your confirmation code and rebook at the lower fare. Saved me about $80 on a Vegas trip this morning.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Southwest Airlines Trick

Another thing you should know about Southwest. You can check in on-line 24 hours before your flight boards. Do that so you can get in with the A group. Even if you don't have a printer (because you're out of town), go ahead and check-in. When you check in at the airport, you'll still be boarded with the A group.

For those who don't understand, unlike most airlines, Southwest doesn't assign seats. It's first come, first serve. But they board you in the order of check in. The first 30 people to check in are in group A and board before the next 30 people, who are in group B. The rest go into group C.

So when you board a flight, you'll see a line form very early so people can get a good seat. But I laugh at the line. People stand in the C line for half hour or more, while I'm sitting down somewhere comfortable. When the final person in the A line boards, I finally stand up and board with them. I still get a good seat in the front of the plane, yet I didn't have to stand in line forever.

Also, before the A group is boarded is the pre-boarders. Anyone with a young child can board first. So when my wife flies with our daughter, she doesn't even bother to do early check in, because she knows she'll be the first person on the plane anyway.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:29 PM

It always cracks me up to see the A group people who get in line two hours before the flight leaves. I mean it totally destroys the purpose of being in the A group. I'd like to get a psychological profile of the people that do this. I'll bet they are super anxious and super anal retentive.

The only people who should be standing in line are the C group. You don't want to be the last person in C group because then you don't have a choice of where to sit and you probably get stuck next to the nastiest person on the plane.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It always cracks me up to see the A group people who get in line two hours before the flight leaves. I mean it totally destroys the purpose of being in the A group. I'd like to get a psychological profile of the people that do this. I'll bet they are super anxious and super anal retentive.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I always get a kick out of watching these people too. I think maybe they just feel uncomfortable with themselves and dont know what to do in a public setting, so standing in line gives them a purpose.

And then there are the people who HAVE to be at the very front of the plane so they can be the first off, they just spent 2 hours on a plane, but if they get off 5 minutes ahead of someone, they feel efficient. I bet the hour they stood in line before the plane boarded is well worth it. These are the same people i think who jump out of their seats at the movie theatre and run for the door before the screen has even faded to black, then stand like dumbasses for 5 more minutes when they realize there is still more to watch.

yes, I spend entirely to much time watching other people when im at the airport.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:38 PM

If I fly them ever, I'm going to tell them I have special needs and need an aisle.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:31 PM

The best way to fly on Southwest is with small children. You get to go on ahead of even the A group. Be sure and borrow one or two next time you fly.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:39 PM

OT, but the last time I flew from Las Vegas to Phoenix on Southwest, there were 6 passengers on the plane. And 3 of us were supposed to be on the later flight who moved to the earlier flight merely because they let us.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you don't have a printer (because you're out of town), go ahead and check-in. When you check in at the airport, you'll still be boarded with the A group.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you my good man. I've held off on doing this in the past. When I first starting checking in early about a year and a half ago, I noticed no one at the airport or very few had caught on....this has rapidly changed.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:06 PM

They used to have it set so that you have to check in the day of your flight--which really sucked if you had a 6am flight, because you had to check in at midnight, then be in the airport in time for the early flight.

They recently changed so you can check-in 24 hours before takeoff.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only people who should be standing in line are the C group. You don't want to be the last person in C group because then you don't have a choice of where to sit and you probably get stuck next to the nastiest person on the plane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I've had the "A" group, I've been able to sit alnog a wall, with my bag right next to me holding the palce in line....

First few on, aisle seat, first few off - life is good....