Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 07:00 PM

Default two hands from today\'s $1500 NLH at WSOP

3rd level, 50/100. I just got moved to this table; I've been up and down all day.

Hand 1: I just took the blinds uncontested. Now I have ~1500 and am UTG+1 and see QQ. I make it 275 (standard so far at this table as far as I can tell.) M/LP calls and the button (young kid) calls. They both cover me.
The flop is KT6 (maybe not 6) with two diamonds. I have ~1200 left and the pot is 975. This is a push, right? If it's not, what is it?

Hand 2:

A few hands later. I have 1200 after posting my small blind. Same button from last hand (who has revealed himself to be rather aggressive) opens to 300. Bill Gazes two to his left calls. Cutoff calls. Button calls. I have 87o in small blind and everyone has me covered. Is a push profitable here?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Re: two hands from today\'s $1500 NLH at WSOP

Hand 2. No. You are going to get looked-up somewhere.

Hand 1. I think I check and see. Often I will check jam, and I will also jam a lot of turn cards if it checks through. The only benefit to jamming the flop is that it prices out bad flush draws and JQ and I kind of want to invite those hands to take a stab. I think overall a check is better.

Also...do you have the Qd?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:13 PM
 is offline

Hand 1 is a clear check/evaluate. If it goes bet/call before it even gets back to you, easy fold. If the bet comes from EP, then my read is pretty important, but I'm probably folding. If the bet comes from the last person to act, then unless he is a rock, I'm probably CRing all-in.

Hand 2: I don't really like a push here. Anyone who calls will be getting better than 2:1, and this should be an easy call for lots of hands that destroy your range.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:13 PM

Stupid donkey question: in hand 2, are you hoping that everyone folds or that you get called as a 2-1 dog with a heap of dead money in the pot?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:16 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
Stupid donkey question: in hand 2, are you hoping that everyone folds or that you get called as a 2-1 dog with a heap of dead money in the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's hoping everyone folds. In fact, he'd happily give some chips to each player in order to guarantee a fold.

That said, if he's called by a hand like AQo, it's not the worst thing in the world.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Either one would work i'm guessing...ideally everyone folding is what you want, but obviously someone's going to realize hat you're doing and look you up.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1. I think I check and see. Often I will check jam, and I will also jam a lot of turn cards if it checks through. The only benefit to jamming the flop is that it prices out bad flush draws and JQ and I kind of want to invite those hands to take a stab. I think overall a check is better.

Also...do you have the Qd?

[/ QUOTE ]

Memory is not perfect but I'm about 90% it was Qh Qc.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take either one, frankly. If I get one caller there's still 1000 in dead money in the pot. That's why I asked-- I haven't run the math on how often it has to fold out / how far behind I have to be when I get called for this to be profitable.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:24 PM

nath,
there is also a real possibility of two callers, depending on how deep everybody else is.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nath,
there is also a real possibility of two callers, depending on how deep everybody else is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody was deep enough to call with impunity... I think the deepest stack had ~4000, maybe less.