Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 04:03 PM

Default Good move here?

I apologize for not converting the hand, but I attempted to use the converter and i kept getting error messages.

I think I made the right move here, especially since the initial raiser had folded to re-raises on multiple occasions so far but I was berated by both my oppenents for the rest of the tourney, and even in the next one i played, after they followed me. Any thoughts would be welcome.

*********** # 37 **************
PokerStars Game #5573624914: Tournament #28184471
Hold'em No Limit -Level VII (100/200) - 2006/07/16 - 00:09:03 (ET)Table '28184471 1'
9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 3: Jostlin (2845 in chips)
Seat 5: Harvalicous (2515 in chips)
Seat 8: Metnut (7550 in chips)
Seat 9: DokterD (590 in chips)
Jostlin: posts the ante 25
Harvalicous: posts the ante 25
Metnut: posts the ante 25
DokterD: posts the ante 25
Metnut: posts small blind 100
DokterD: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Metnut [9d Qs]
Jostlin: raises 400 to 600
Harvalicous: folds
Metnut: raises 3200 to 3800
DokterD: calls 365 and is all-in
Jostlin: folds
*** FLOP *** [6h 7h Ah]
*** TURN *** [6h 7h Ah] [Jc]
*** RIVER *** [6h 7h Ah Jc] [Ac]
Jostlin said, "i would hit the flush"***
SHOW DOWN
***Metnut: shows [9d Qs] (a pair of Aces)
Metnut collected 70 from side pot
DokterD: shows [2s 2h] (two pair, Aces and Deuces)
DokterD collected 1795 from main pot
Harvalicous said, "why do that with q9?
"Jostlin said, "why would u raise there"***
SUMMARY ***Total pot 1865 Main pot 1795. Side pot 70. | Rake 0 Board [6h 7h Ah Jc Ac]
Seat 3: Jostlin folded before Flop
Seat 5: Harvalicous (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Metnut (small blind) showed [9d Qs] and won (70) with a pair of Aces
Seat 9: DokterD (big blind) showed [2s 2h] and won (1795) with two pair, Aces and Deuces
Old 07-17-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Good move here?

Looks good to me, but I'm never sure of myself with these moves. Lol at their responses. Even if you lose you still get to pwn their blinds.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:11 PM

With a stack that small at the table I definitely make that raise.

-SonnyJay
Old 07-17-2006, 04:14 PM

good play. Anyone who talks strategy or berates someone at the table is stupid. Don't listen to them.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:21 PM

I wouldn't do this. I think there's little chance BB will fold, and if he calls and raiser folds, then Q9o is 55% versus random, meaning your gain is like 490 chips. Also BB will have a pretty decent stack if he wins, which makes it harder to pwn the bubble. Plus raiser should have a pretty decent hand to be raising UTG in that spot, which means you may well get called and lose many times 490 chips.

I would only do this if I thought there was a decent chance BB would fold. That happening is huge for you because raiser then has to fold like every hand.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:24 PM

Isn't there a good chance that the BB folds, since he is basically crippled and he thinks that UTG and me might get into a showdown and he can sneak into the money? I think BB folds about 20-25% of the time, and UTG folds about 85-90% of the time, and I still have a hand that isn't too poor to showdown.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:25 PM

Why would you do that? The guy would've hit a flush &$%@!

With your read I think this is fine, small stack folds here often enough, hoping you and the raiser will mix it up, which puts the raiser in an awful spot. Add in the sheer pleasure derived from being berated by morons and I like it even more. After a similar move I had a guy tell me "if this were a live game, I'd put you in the ER." It just lets you know you're doing something right.

Not sure I'd get too jiggy again in this tourney, especially considering two of your opponents don't even understand why you would make this move.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there a good chance that the BB folds, since he is basically crippled and he thinks that UTG and me might get into a showdown and he can sneak into the money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I guess some players think this way. They don't play in the games I play in.

The problem with this line of thinking is that the original raiser would then have to fold a whole stack of hands. In fact he can probably only call like AA and KK in theory. So if you want to fold here as BB you're either saying that you think UTG has KK or AA, or that you think UTG is a moron. From the chatter after your raise, UTG probably is a moron, but that in turn may mean you shouldn't make the reraise, because you'll get called.

My point is, you have to think both that UTG will fold to your raises, AND that BB will think that he won't.

BB is also not necessarily crippled. If he calls, raiser will still have to fold a fair few hands, and if BB then beats you, he'll have 1,770 chips and the other two guys will have a little over 2K each. So he won't be crippled then.

Like I said, if your read is that BB folds a lot, then definitely make the reraise. That's not my read here, I think he calls 100%.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:19 PM

If UTG folds a high percentage of the time then I believe this is a manditory raise regardless of the percent of hands the BB calls. Suppose the BB calls with 100%. Then we are getting 2 to 1 with an above average hand.

The harder case to analyze is when utg calls our push. If UTG has a clue, I am expecting him to have a serious hand to initial get involving in this situation.