Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 12:41 PM

Default small pocket pair on low flop board in huge pot

Hi:

This is my first post here.

I would like some feedback on this hand.

I usually play online, where play is generally pretty tight.

In a live 3/6 game, I seemed to be over my head with 4 players at the table LAA."Let's gamble" ... and pre-flop the betting would be capped. Often the flop would be capped, or at least raised once.

I am in seat 9 with loose aggressive players on my right in seat 8 and a loose passive player in seat 7. There is also a loose passive player in seat 1 and a very good loose aggressive player in seat 2.

Parden the hand history... This is from a live game, so I had to make this by hand.

Oaks Club 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero in seat 9 is Big Blind with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
fold, Seat 1 calls, Seat 2 raises, fold, fold, call, call, call, seat 8 raises,
Hero calls, others all call

Flop: (21 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero checks</font>, seat 1 checks, seat 2 bets, fold, fold, call, seat 9 raises. <font color="#CC3333">Hero folds</font>

Here is my question. Should I have folded in this spot.
It was 2 bets to me in a pot with current pot odds of 25:2, with a guess that seat 1 would call and seat 2 would 3 bet, and probably cost me 4 bets by the time it got back to me.

I suspected that one of the players had a three, or possibly an over pair. I was sure that there were flush draws out there.

I was afraid that if an over card came, my 55 would be no good.

What would you do and why?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Re: small pocket pair on low flop board in huge pot

Given your reads, I don't mind it. The PF reraiser is an LPP, so he's probably ahead of your fives here. You tried to spike a set for the implied value, missed, and gave up.

Seems like a reasonable play.

Against an aggressor of course, I would c/rr that flop.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:07 PM

Default Re: small pocket pair on low flop board in huge pot

Folding the flop is fine. You are probably drawing to 2 outs, and in the slight chance you are ahead, you're hand will almost never hold up against all those players.

Not sure, but it looks like the pre-flop raiser was the SB, then he checked the flop. If he would have led out the flop, then a raise would be in order.