Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 10:58 AM

Default I can\'t stop tilting

I don't understand it. I keep trying to stop, but it's only getting worse. Now, I even tilt when I win.

I took a barrage of sick beats and ended up down 10k at the end of my session. Then the typical mega-tilt set in.

Well, 10k is a lot and the beats were bad. However, I am still up a lot this week. Why can't I be happy with that? No matter how much I am up, as soon as I hit a decent downswing, I lose it. Even the next day, I sit down thinking I am ok and after the first beat I get too tilty.

So... help??? I've been through an anger management course and none of their techniques have ever helped me with tilting. I can control my anger - that isn't the issue. I can't control the moving up and the occasional bad play.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Re: I can\'t stop tilting

take a break dude
Old 07-17-2006, 11:08 AM

I take breaks. I'm normally really lax with my play. Typically, I play around 15k-20k hands a month and 2 hours a day max.

Recently, I've been trying to play more. I don't think it's an issue though. I don't feel as if I'm forcing myself. I still relax a lot and play when I feel like it.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:28 PM
 is offline

Are you uber-multitabling? I find this tilts me, for some reason.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:15 PM

My advice is to move down in limits. Your emotions always play a larger part when you are playing for money that is a lot (to you). If you find yourself going tilt... it may be because you are playing for too much money.

Imagine if someone disgustingly bad beat you for 10 bucks. You wouldn't be so upset would you..... ??? Extreme example... I know, but it's along the lines of what I am talking about.

By the way... Kurosh... are you Luis who has any knowledge of the letters VTL ? If so...

WHAT UP!!!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 08:05 PM

I generally agree with the breaks and stuff, but playing only a couple of hours a day isn't really that much. Unless you have been playing consistently on a daily basis for a long time, I wouldn't worry about that issue. It seems to be deeper problem than that.

Perma-tilt, both when winning and losing, isn't going to be solved by taking an extended break. I think it's a different situation when you play hunky-dory most of the time, but tilt occasionally.

It seems as if some people actually "enjoy" playing angry for some reason...if that makes any sense. If that's your case, then solving the issue seems a lot harder.

In any case, I wonder if professional therapy would help you resolve the issues. It might be something you want to look into deeper on a psychological level if you can't figure it out yourself. I would think the same or similar anger issues come up in situations away from the table as well.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:16 AM

I recommend seeing a psychiatrist. You might have a chemical imbalance and need medication.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:23 AM

I am [censored] insane [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2006, 01:30 AM

After I started taking Prozac my tilt was reduced by way more than 90 percent. It was making me kinda tired though so I switched to zoloft. Now I have more energy but its some of nervous energy. I might switch again.Some medications however may actually increase your tilt. This is why I recommend seeing a psychiatrist. Don't just go in and ask for some medication you see on TV and then say goodbye. Go in for multiple follow up visits. Make sure you get a full assessment.
Try to get a recommendation from someone. Some psychiatrists aren't very thorough.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:24 AM

It sounds like you have a lot of you own ego (selfworth or whatever you call it) invested in your play.

Snowball might be spot on ... or it might not be that bad, but usual advice of taking breaks etc etc etc will not suffice here is my impression.