Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2006, 06:07 AM

Default I didn\'t want an overcall on the river??

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

No stats, no strong reads. The whole table was Taggish.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: (9.70 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 13.70 BB

Did I overplay preflop?
My river play?
Old 01-20-2006, 06:19 AM

Default Re: I didn\'t want an overcall on the river??

I wouldn't make a habit of it, but against a taggish table the pf cap has some merits.

About the river: If UTG really is a tag, then he must almost certainly have you beat on the river. Just check his preflop calling range, the only hands that he might have that you are beating are AdJd and AdQd. It is far from sure that he would try to bluff with those against 2 people on the river. So I think investing 2BB's to find out is too much. I would fold.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:21 AM

Another hand that I didn't know how to play tonight..fold turn?

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (10 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 01-20-2006, 06:38 AM

Really? No showdown with this hand?

You don't think that there is a good chance that UTG would take a stab on the river if in fact he missed completely? Perhaps not...but I don't know. It's a big pot. I don't think it's unreasonable to say he's bluffing 10% of the time, no?
Old 01-20-2006, 07:20 AM

preflop cap is spewish in hand 1. As played I call/fold on the river and am torn on which is better. Eitherway I dislike your raise as without a donk read on UTG you aren't beating him enough that the times MP folds a better hand don't make up for the times you are losing to UTG IMO.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the only hands that he might have that you are beating are AdJd and AdQd.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a raise preflop and IMO at least AdJd is a fold when it gets back. I would fold both.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop cap is spewish in hand 1. As played I call/fold on the river and am torn on which is better. Eitherway I dislike your raise as without a donk read on UTG you aren't beating him enough that the times MP folds a better hand don't make up for the times you are losing to UTG IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.

And there's no hand I would play like MP did. I would feel sick if I were him holding JJ/TT on the turn though, still I bet/fold.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no specific read that UTG ws a TAG. The description was that the whole table was TAGish. It is hard to put UTG on a range of hands beating Hero here. It really does look like he is stabbing with a missed draw. He could have limped with a hand like KQo and missed his turn check-raise (or just been looking to check-call for fear of AK, KK or AA), but it looks like he wss more on a missed str8 or flush draw to me. Hero definitely does not want an overcall and I think he is often ahead of UTG. So I like his river play.

I don't like the pre-flop cap though.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:01 PM

I don't like the cap of 88 pre-flop much.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:04 PM

PF: I like it if you only cap the 8s sometimes. Don't want to be predictable.
F, T: I think I play them the same way. Sucks to give a free card on the turn, but giving 10:1 is the next worst thing.
R: I think I call here because it looks like UTG has a K and wanted to CR the turn. That, or he's taking a bad stab after a checked street. If you think you can beat UTG, don't go for overcalls because MP3 looks like A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and will fold.