Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2006, 01:57 AM

Default Overpair vs possible set

Here I was fortunate enough to be the guy with the set.

I was wondering, however, if there was any way for the vilain not to lose his complete stack ?! Or, is there nothing to do in that situation ?

In other words, if you had QQ here, would you have lost your stack ?! Would you have played it differently than him in order to avoid going all in ?

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $52.35 (Q-Q)
Hero: $47.50 (6-6)

CO: $35.96
Button: $49.95
SB: $25.60
BB: $64.85

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $2 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was $2.75)</font>, 4 folds.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($4.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $5.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $15</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises all-in $50.35</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $30.5</font>.
Uncalled bets: $4.85 returned to UTG.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($95.75, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $95.75)

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($95.75, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $95.75)

Final pot: $95.75
Old 07-15-2006, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Overpair vs possible set

Anyone ?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:35 AM

its fine. I have no problem getting my money in on this flop with a set
Old 07-15-2006, 12:00 PM

If I was UTG I would have folded to the flop raise. I think he overbet the flop to show weakness, enticing you to play back at him, and to then get it all in.

I would have bet 4 dollars on the flop, folded to a 3 times raise, and reraised mini raise to see if he has air, if called or raised again, fold. As it went, it looks like he wanted to get it all in. I don't think there is any reason for him to lose his whole stack with QQ, but he is still going to lose a fair amount here unless he concedes to your flop raise.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:03 PM

Change QQ to AA and do you change the way villian plays?
Old 07-15-2006, 12:35 PM

AA is easier to play in the sense that you don't have to worry about higher PPs, but of course, sets are still an issue.

Maybe I would have lost my whole stack with AA (or I guess won after thanking the Poker Gods for that miracle river), but in any cases, I would never have overbet the pot like that.

By betting 5$, a typical re-raise will be to $15--or $10 for a min raise. Then you're stuck ... you can't just re-raise to $20-30 ... you have $40 left in your stack. You have to go all in ...

By betting less, you permit more reraises for the stack sizes, which can give you more information on the strengh of his hand. But, then again, folding AA would be a very difficult fold to justify ...

I'm not saying I would fold ... I'm just asking if there are ways to avoid going broke in such cases ...
Old 07-15-2006, 08:42 PM

Well a more sensible flop bet would've helped this villian get away (2/3 pot would've been great). Your Table Image/Reads are also very important, I could see playing like villian vs a fish/tilter/lagtard/TPGK is the nuts kind of player. Firing at a good TAG however with this flop, I fold to the obvious set/trap AA everytime.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:49 PM

This is very read dependent, watch your villians and it's much easier to lay down in these situations.