Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Life is Never Easy

A hand from the 2500 6-max WSOP event. I mentioned it in my tourney report (as of now still unfinished) so if you know the results, pretend you dont.

Blinds are 50/100 and I have around 6k, and villain slightly covers. He raises from UTG+1/HJ to 275. I defend my BB with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The flop comes 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. What's the plan?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Life is Never Easy

I have to bet here because if we check and he checks behind I think that is a disaster for our hand. I lead for about 450 or so. If he raises, I probably call and push any non-diamond turn. If he calls, I fire a big bet again on a non-diamond turn.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:06 PM

I lead for 3/4 the pot
Old 07-14-2006, 09:06 PM

bet about 3/4 and fold to a raise. flat call leaves a tough decision for non-diamond turn, but a diamond turn guarentees a laydown for me
Old 07-14-2006, 09:16 PM

If villian has an overpair or 1 diamond I would expect a cbet so CR all-in. If checked lead the turn. If it's a d on turn than you can be representing Ad and you would need to evaluate based on reads, if it's a blank than I would give aggression from villian more credit.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:18 PM

Lead 450, push if raised. Stacks seem to work for this (450 -> 1500 -> 6000).

I must be missing something though.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:32 PM

1) My first thought is bet 450 (3/4 pot), although this board sucks if villain actually has a diamond and if he doesn't it sucks because you will not get too much action from a low card flop.

2) C/R'ing isn't too awful, because another diamond falls and it kills your action one way or another and winning the pot here is not such a bad thing, especially getting another bet out of villian. You will definitely miss out on some value, but your hand is vulnerable.

Either line you will need to bet enough to give villain incorrect odds to chase. I think I like the c/r option the best, because leading out can easily chase villain away on this low card monotone flop and you do get an extra bet out of villain.

If villain checks behind, well that will really suck.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:56 PM

A C/R gets Villain to fold stuff like 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] like always.

We don't want this to happen.

It also lets Villain check Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] behind.

We don't want this to happen.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:59 PM

When I say a plan, i mean complete with contingencies. If you want to bet, what do you do on various turn cards if he calls...if you want to check raise, various turn cards if he checks behind, so on and so forth.

As to some specific points.

rockin,
"Either line you will need to bet enough to give villain incorrect odds to chase"

while techincally that's true, its one of the most misused concepts in poker. think about specifically how much I need to bet in order to do that.

Ogre, 0evg0,
Be more complete.

Foot and Taken,
We are too deep to get all-in with only two actions on this flop, without it being a massive (and generally bad) overbet.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:11 PM

Lead out for 300. If you get raised, think awhile and smoothcall. If the turn is a nondiamond, look to get a checkraise in. If it is a diamond, you could even lead out for like 3/4 of the pot.